Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ignoring transmission impedance in network models

Status
Not open for further replies.

reynal74

Electrical
Mar 1, 2011
US
Why do some utilities simulation tools ignore the transmission impedance in network models for its analysis? I understand that it will increase the voltage drop and it would not allow proper sizing of conductors. But, it is necessary for sizing of breakers at substations and other devices, also for faults at the station buses.

Regards,

Reynaldo Salcedo

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't understand. What kind of network model would ignore the transmission impedance? How could a model of the transmission network ignore the transmission network elements?

That is exactly the same thing that I was thinking. I believe that only loadflow could (might) be done under those conditions, and that is only assuming that the voltages are considered from head of feeders and completely ignoring the substation.

Regards,

Reynaldo Salcedo

When dealing with radial circuits you can always lump everything upstream into the source impedance. That isn't ignoring the transmission impedance, it is just lumping it with everything else upstream of the substation.

Thanks a lot for your answers, I thought for a second that the way I was thinking about modeling a distribution system was wrong.

Regards,

Reynaldo Salcedo

It is common in MV and HV neglect the resistance and consider the impedance as pure reactance. Probably this may be the issue.

Occasionally a source could be consider as an infinite bus (zero impedance) just for simplification. However modeling network with negligible impedance does not sound right without additional explanation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back