Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I'll try to make a long story short

Status
Not open for further replies.

JerryO

Chemical
Dec 3, 2004
US
I'll try to make a long story short. I must have screwed up when I did a FDISK on my hard drive to partition it. I re-installed win98, came to the part where the computer re-boots, it froze and gave a warning about a network drive. Well I restarted my computer and now it comes up with the message "drive c does not cotain a valid FAT or Fat 32 partition. It tells me to run FDISK again, but when I do I get the message "no fixed drive". At the C: I can pull up the directory and everything is there, it just won't run FDISK or FORMAT. HELP

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

how do you boot your computer?
try to boot from a clean floppy disk and also check your computer for viruses (important!!!)
if it is clean from viruses then run the format command fron a floppy and not fron the hard disk. you can use a win98 boot disk for that.

I hope I helped

does your BIOS recognize the drive? If not then its not connected properly or the IDE channel is turned off. If so, then boot from a known good floppy and run the latest Fdsik (not the win95 one, use win98SE version). The correct version will give you the message at the start about supporting large drives.

might be worth reformatting the hard drive again.
to allow FORMAT to work, download a small file called DELPART.EXE. This will allow you to remove all partitions on your drive, allowing a clean format of the whole drive. Then use FORMAT and try reinstalling windows.

heres a link to the tool.

Scotsdude
I do the best I can with the info that I have.
If it works, let me know.
If it don't, ditto!

Don't reformat the drive! Use the command 'format c: /MBR' . This will format only the master boot record. It will set the default drive to C: for windows. Make sure that you use the same version of format as the one you used for the rest of your drive or it will not work in most cases.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back