Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

I'm looking for standards about oil pressure range of a diesel engine generator 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

chao_david

Electrical
Oct 25, 2017
PH
I'm currently doing my research on diesel generator quality control but I can't seem to find the standard operating range of a diesel generator. Do you know any standard about that?

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

there is no specific range, but generally speaking i would say somewhere between 3 to 8 bar. in fact, when the diesel engine is operating, you are more interested in sufficient flow of oil to all the points where lubrication is needed then in the pressure somewhere in the feeding line. since measuring flow is somewhat more complicated then pressure usually a oil pressure gauge comes with the engine. many operators think that when the oil pressure is ok, lubricant supply also is ok. that need not be the case. when started in the cold oil pressure will be quite high, whereas flow may be severely hampered. the same may be the case when using a thicker grade of oil then recommended. you may notice a somewhat lower oil pressure when the engine runs at full load or when using a somewhat thinner grade of oil. there is no direct relation between the oil pressure seen on the pressure gauge and the oil pressure in bearings of the crankshaft or connecting rod.
pressures within bearings may well exceed several hundreds of bars with the oil gauge indicating 4.5 bar...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back