Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

i'm losing hope 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

CHALLENGERSRT

Student
Jan 12, 2024
US
sorry to make this a sad post but i hate my life. I hate my job...although i am much more tolerant at school when i'm learning about drafting. I've been trying to call places to see if anyone needs CAD work.I have lists of companies and i just cold call and also i send resumes through emails i find. Anyways, I'm in a tough situation. I have to find a job or else i'll be stuck doing minimum wage my whole life. I am 21 and i believe i need to step into a more serious role in society. So far i've just been trying to get a Drafting/AutoCAD job because i got experience and again i'm in school.
Oh btw i have knowledge of BIM and Revit, and i've made floor plans on autocad
Any tips on what to say when approaching, how can i get to more interviews

Do general contractors actually need autoCAD work.
I'm at a wits end i'm trying to find an oppurtunity so i no longer have to hate waking up in the morning....I don't hate school, i hate my minimum wage job.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

No, I think rb is saying that's not a great way to do it. Big companies with lots of layers are hard to get into by walking in off the street. A small shop? Sure. But if they're in a tower downtown you'll be lucky to penetrate deep enough to find the right person. People who get hired there get hired because they knew somebody there already, applied to a listed a job, or did a bunch of research and figured out who to send their resume to and managed to get somebody's attention. And that hasn't changed as long as people have been running businesses and other people have been working for them.

Have you considered enlisting? The Army Corps of Engineers and the Navy Construction Battalions might be a good thing for you to consider. I know both need drafters, as well as other engineering technician jobs. I went through my CE program at university with a retired SeaBee. He was a great guy and really knew his stuff. He wasn't the strongest in math or some theoretical concepts, but nobody could keep up with him in the lab.

The trades are also a good idea. If you can find a good HVAC or Electrical company that has a good reputation that needs apprentices, give it a whirl. You'll have to work hard, but they pay is some of the best you'll find without a bachelor's degree.

things were just the same for me. I spent literally years writing letters or looking for jobs at various times. I have been lucky that two opportunities opened up for me at different times in my career. After that it was "just" hard work to build a career; and I'm not suggesting you're afraid of hard work. The key is to recognise what is a good opportunity and then taking it.

"Hoffen wir mal, dass alles gut geht !"
General Paulus, Nov 1942, outside Stalingrad after the launch of Operation Uranus.

so your admitting things where easier when you were growing up.

To be blunt, it's a idiotic way to do it; can you imagine every Tom, Dick, and CHALLENGERSRT walking through the doors of every company saying they want to be considered for an engineering position? And no, it was not easier, in general, you would have gotten the cold shoulder 40 years as well, since no one has time to deal with rando's from off the street. You should create a LinkedIn profile and follow the people that are posting job openings and look to other job listing sites, as has been suggested to you before.

As mentioned numerous times, most every college has a career center with job postings, both full time and internships, and they usually also have classes on how to write GOOD resumes and how to tailor resumes and cover letters for a specific job listing.

The basic point of job hunting is that you have to answer the question of "why should we hire you?" and you need to be able to answer, "I can solve your X, Y, and Z problems." That requires actually reading a job listing and showing that you read the job listing because your resume and cover letter addresses the needs of the job listings.

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

CHALLENGERSRT, it's clear that you're determined to find a more fulfilling job, and your efforts in seeking out opportunities in drafting and AutoCAD are commendable. Contract work, as suggested by BrianE22, could indeed be a stepping stone towards securing more permanent positions in the future. It offers a chance to gain valuable experience and build a network within the industry. While it may not provide the stability of a full-time job, it could lead to promising prospects.

3DDave's advice on reaching out to contract placement companies is worth considering, as they often have access to a wide range of job opportunities. However, it's important to keep in mind that cold-calling may not always yield immediate results. Exploring platforms like LinkedIn and networking within the industry could also enhance your job search efforts.

From my perspective, your determination and willingness to explore different avenues to improve your career prospects are admirable. It's essential to remain proactive and adaptable in the job market, especially when seeking opportunities in competitive fields like drafting and design. By continuing to build on your skills and network, you'll increase your chances of finding a job that aligns with your aspirations. Keep pushing forward, and don't lose sight of your goals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back