Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I'm new Solid Edge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Sabastian7,

Welcome to Eng-Tips and to the world of SE!

IMHO, tick-tock until SE with ST. Learning how to use v20 at this point in time is a catch-22. You need it to use Solid Edge right now, but in a couple weeks (knock on wood) you'll need to go through the learning curve again (maybe not for everything, but from what I can see, for a lot of things).

In the mean time, why not check out ? They have some good videos and articles comparing the new version to the current one... worth a look for sure!

Cheers,
Martin

The tutorials that come with SE aren't too bad.

Also "I get it" has tutorials for V19 at a fairly reasonable price as I recall.

Solid Edge Community has some stuff too.

Thanks for the links.

KENAT, probably the least qualified checker you'll ever meet...

Martin,

Merci beaucoup for the link, I visited the site back in May or June when they announced ST but didn't know they added blog entries since.

I found this entry about the new UI very interesting. I'm still not sure about that Ribbon Bar, I've played a little with Word 2007 and thought I needed more mouse clicks to get to the tools I needed. I guess we'll see when it ships.

What I'm also wondering is how ST will work with the assembly or the sheetmetal environment.

NX6 which also includes ST was available for download since June 30th but so fat there's not much feedback on the UG/NX Eng-tips forum.

Gemnoc,

Sa fait plaisir! A little off topic: are you fluent french? If so, where from?

Indeed, you might need a few more clicks to get what you want, but if it saves you time of searching where such or such a function is, then good on them. I know that it was much easier to teach my folks how to work through a document and get what they wanted with the Word 2007 toolbars...

There are two things that I have understood as being part of the assembly environment: Design intent and local relationships. First, ST will see what you are trying to do and try to keep this intent through part replacement, etc. Second, as I see it there will be no more "global" relationships that guide the design... it will be more like a puzzle concept, where there can be more than one way to determine where a piece goes, and even though you remove the initial "place guiding" piece, as long as there are other pieces to guide it's position, there should be no problem...

Again, this is my impression of what I have seen and with talks with our reseller. These are not to be taken as facts, just as philosophy. If any of this is incorrect, please let me know.

This is a bit off topic, maybe we should get it back into the SE new technology post??

Cheers,
Martin

Salut Martin,

Je suis au Québec, comme tu l'es probablement?

translation for others: I live in the province of Quebec (Canada) as you may do?

You're right Martin, I wanted to post another link I found last night about ST in the new technology post but couldn't find it (was in a hurry).

@ Sabastian7
Not many Solid Edge resources can be found online, there's this one but it's rather old.

Normand

Normand,

Actually no. Born and raised Franco-Ontarien (term used to describe someone from a French-Ontario (Canada) background).

Sebastian7,

I have to agree with Kenat and Gemnoc on this one. There's this site, the SolidEdge tutorials and help files, and the videos you found are not too shaby either. I usually start off with the help file and if I can't find it there (80% of the time I can), then I come here...

The vibe I'm getting from most people around the net is that they are safeguarding their SolidEdge practice and tools (macros, etc.). Most probably because they sell the application of this knowledge through their work. Maybe this philosophy will change since SE ST will be "so simple anyone can use it"?

Cheers,
Martin

Thank for your response everyone!
It seems that there is not allot on offer in terms of training in Solid Edge via the web. Very suprising considering the amount of tutorials on offer for other CAD programs.
It will be interesting to see the new changes with Synchronous Technology and what sort of training will be made availabe.

Yeah, Solid Edge has always been the underdog. There are not many training books on Solid Edge either.

If they'd put the kind of money in marketing their competitors do in the past decade (IV and SW), maybe it would be different.

Training courses are, and have always been, available.
It's just if you are willing to pay for them !
I've funded 2 training courses myself in the past (Catia & UG/NX2).
I was trained on SE v3 by a previous client (I'm a contractor), but have never found the need for a SE training course since then.
When the ST comes in I may need to cough-up some cash for training though as I don't think my present client will fund it.

bc.
2.4GHz Core2 Quad, 4GB RAM,
Quadro FX4600.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back