Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Image Capture at 1:1

Status
Not open for further replies.

hititfaster

Mechanical
Nov 24, 2010
GB
Done a bit of searching (and will continue to try myself...) but not found what I'm looking for yet. I have a client who wants to use my Solidworks model as a basis for some graphics work. He's asked me to produce an image of a part (flat sheet-metal) in plan view showing the various colours I have applied. It would be ideal, he says, if this was 1:1 and very high resolution.

Can anyone tell me if I can do this easily?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

OK, so the best solution I have found so far was:

1. Create a drawing of the part
2. Add a plan view in shaded with edges mode,
3. Make the page size custom (same size as outside dim's of part)
4. Save as TIF
5. Under options increase the resolution to its highest setting, with print capture checked and scale set at 100%

This seems to be sufficient for now, although I'd like to do something like this through PhotoView 360 shortly.

Don't use a drawing. Go to the model. Use View > Screen Capture > Image Capture. That command places a copy of your screen image (the model only. no menus, etc) on your clipboard. Then go to Word or Excel or any other program that will accept a graphic image. Ese Edit > Paste. And there it is, an exact copy of your Solidworks screen, in a 1:1 ratio.

There is also the ability to do the part save as jpg or tif as a screen dump. The 1:1 request is sort of strange since you can always resize the picture.
"Do not scale from drawing"

--
Hardie "Crashj" Johnson
SW 2011 SP 4.0
HP Pavillion Elite HPE
W7 Pro, Nvidia Quaddro FX580

That was my first suggestion, but he didnt want to do any re-sizing as apparently the pixels interpolate as you do it, which reduces quality/clarity. To say this guy is a details man would be an understatement...

Hi,

An image does not have physical sizes. It only has pixel counts in linear lenght or in an area.

Best regards,

Alex

"There is also the ability to do the part save as jpg or tif as a screen dump"

That is exactly what the Screen Capture command does.

Umm, JBoggs, doesn't 'screen capture' copy the image to the clipboard? 'Save as' actually creates a file, if I'm understanding this correctly.
"very slight difference"

--
Hardie "Crashj" Johnson
SW 2011 SP 4.0
HP Pavillion Elite HPE
W7 Pro, Nvidia Quaddro FX580

Why not create a drawing using a shaded view 1:1 and then save out to PDF. You can then email the PDF to who ever needs it.

Photoview is only going to create a image file and trying to get that to be 1:1 is not very easy unless you have a program that can handle graphics files like Photoshop or maybe Illistrator.

Hmm, that link didn't work. Try this one.

[link]http://www.triaxialdesign.com/sw-tips-tricks/SWTips-Tricks%202008-10.pdf[/url]

If that doesn't work, try cut and paste to a browser.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back