Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Image inserted in part, how to show in draft?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gemnoc

Mechanical
Mar 27, 2007
CA
Hello guys,

I did a search but it came up empty.

I've inserted a scan of a hand-made sketch in a Sketch in a part file, for contruction purposes. Now I want to print out a Draft with ortho views of the part, while showing this scan.

No problem I thought, I can get sketches to be shown in a drawing view. Problem is, when I do, all it shows is the image border, none of the actual image.

So my question is, is what I want to do possible, and if so, how to do it?

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Gemnoc
You got me on this one. I tried the same thing without any luck. I'll have to post this on SE News group and see what comes up and I'll let you know.

Solid Edge V20

Hi,

it should work (at least on flat faces/V20):

- in part define a *new* face style that holds the image
- now in part
- actvate show textures
- on that surface to which the texture should be applied
define an Extruded surface(!) of height 0,1mm (otherwise
the texture might not show up full)
- on the top surface of this item apply the face style
Save

Now in draft
- make the view so that the correct side is visible
- RMB on the view -> properties
- tab Display
- button 'Parts List Options'
- activate 'List constructions'
- select the one that holds the texture
- on the right activate 'Show'

close with OK

Update view, result: see attached image (green is the base color
of that face)

dy

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=96f6dcf1-6f56-433e-9416-5523b804ae19&file=Texture_Draft.jpg
Thanks for your answers guys.

@ Don

Unfortunately, I don't have a face on which to apply the image as texture. I don't have any base feature yet, I'm still working with (complex) surfaces. But I'll try with an extruded surface and apply the image to it with Part Painter.

You should be able to apply the image as a texture onto a surface. This should then show up on the draft.
I've found images pasted into a part sketch are difficult to get at the correct size and scale, so creating a planar surface and adding the image as a texture might give you a bit better control over it's size.
By the way, in ST I spent several minutes looking for the Styles dialog. The Help topic is misleading -

"Choose Format?Style.
In the Style dialog box, set the Style Type to Faces Style."

In ST there is no "Format" - it's on View?Style?Styles
and whoever thought of using two slightly different A's to denote style should be made to go and sit in their car and think about what they've done (that's what my son told me to do when I cracked a bad joke).
I thought it was something to do with text.

bc.
2.4GHz Core2 Quad, 4GB RAM,
Quadro FX4600.

I agree BC, I think I even ranted about it here.

But the double A icon for the Styles dialog box is not exclusive to ST, I checked in V20 and it was already there.

Plus, I'd like to understand how they could think that choosing a black/white gradient color for the background was a good idea. When you're in sketch mode, it's awful, you don't see what you are drawing on half of the screen!

P.S. Your son's comment made me laugh. Me thinks he has heard that one a few times. ;)

"...I checked in V20 and it was already there"
- but in V20 is says "Styles" next to the icon.
I don't think anyone takes note of any icon where the description is next to it.

And on a lighter note, just to brighten up a dull Monday...
my son's sense of humour is really sharp.
For example, on his birthday cake a couple of years ago he had some candles that created a bit of ash when they were extinguished. Mother says "It's OK, a little bit of ash never hurt anyone".
To which son replies " What about Pompei"

bc.
2.4GHz Core2 Quad, 4GB RAM,
Quadro FX4600.

Big thanks to Don for the original idea, and also to BC for his tips. I created an extruded surface, created a face style with my image as texture, applied it to the surface, and it shows in the drawing view. But "Show shaded" has to be activated in the view properties, along with "textures" checked.

I also assigned 50% opacity to this face style, so it doesn't completely hide other elements.

Doing all that is a small hindrance but at least I get what I need. One thing I find odd: in the face style, I had to rotate the image 270 degrees for it to show correctly. This is something I've noticed in the past. The logic of it eludes me...

Here is a related question. when i create this new style with the image in it am i modifying the .mtl file?

i have three seats running on a network so if everyone looks at the same .mtl in file locations we should all see the new sytle correct?

i think the solid edge does not like that the image i mapped in the style -> texture dialouge book is on a network at not locale.

Mike B.
SE Ver 100.00.07.04

I don't think the face style is saved in the .mtl file. It is only created in the file you are working on. You can copy it to other files though, by clicking the Organizer button in the Styles dialog box.

It is rather quirky. Sometimes, the image doesn't show anymore. I found out it is best that the image be in the same folder as the SE file it belongs to. Otherwise, Solid Edge somehow loses the link.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back