Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Image to Texture 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

INSP99

Military
Mar 4, 2010
AT
Hello,

I want to add a certain picture on one part in the assembly.

I can already use an image in *.par so I can see this on the surface. But when importing this part to the assembly the image gets lost.

Anyone has an idea how to handle that problem?

Regards.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you put the image into a sketch then you'll need to select the component in the assy and tell it to show component sketches.

Or you can do textures in view/format faces but I dont' think that's what you want.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

Dear Kenat,

thank you very much. The first answer is exactly what I`m looking for. But how to show that component sketch in asm?

You right-click on that component in the assembly pathfinder, there's a setting for viewing options in the contextual menu, I don't remember the exact wording at the moment. You choose to show sketches.

Oh fine now I found it (really easy):

Context Menue:
Show/Hide component => Sketches

But the problem is the sketches are shown all. Is there a further hint?

No, its all or nothing in the assembly environment.
If you wanted the sketch to show in your draft file you can opt to just show that one.
Its an area where SE could improve - give users the option to list sketches and constructions etc in the Pathfinder.

bc.
2.4GHz Core2 Quad, 4GB RAM,
Quadro FX4600.

Where would we be without sat-nav?

What I have done in the past is create a protrusion or cutout the same size as the image, maybe only .0005" in depth, and apply the image to that face.

Also, you can define a style with the image as the texture.

Hiding Sketches in the PAR doesn`t hide them in ASM.
It`s no really an option for professional drawing to work the way with deleting all the other ones.

@BMLKIDD: Where did you apply that image. In the part file (how?) and the ASM I could, but I would to it in the part.

Download the two files below:
Open the part file.

Go to Format --> Style --> Face Styles
Click on "ORTHO" - then Texture tab - point the texture to the location of the image.

Ensure that "Textures" is checked under Format -- > View

Once you've defined your face style, go to Part Painter, select your style, and then the face upon which to apply it. You may need to rotate/resize the texture to get a proper representation.

Actually Beach, I think a colleague of mine found a way around this with putting the sketches in the part on different layers and making some layers invisible/not shown or something.

I can't remember the details but I think at the assy level this allowed him to show only certain part sketches.

However, this was several years ago and my memory aint what it was.

Kenat,
Just had a look at this and there is no way to get at the layers of a part or sub-assembly while you are in the parent assembly.
What you can do, however, is create sketches on different layers in the parent assembly, or different parts of a sketch and then show and hide those layers.
So you can only show/hide layers in the active file.

Not much use really because you could just create different sketches.

bc.
Quadro FX4600.

Hmm, I'll have to look at one of the files when I'm back at work.

I'm pretty sure they found a way to only show the logo sketches, cause otherwise there'd be a whole lot of swept feature paths etc showing at the next level.

I think you set the layers to invisible in the part itself.

Kenat,
You are correct - putting sketches on different layers then hiding the layers in the part turns off the display of those layers at the assembly level.
I'm giving you a star.
Mind you it could be really confusing - I would have spent hours trying to figure out why a particular sketch wouldn't diplay.

bc.
Quadro FX4600.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back