Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Imaging problems in 7.5 (image disapears)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greg5OH

Automotive
Aug 21, 2010
US
Hello, I recently installed NX on my machine, and i notice the letters and icons are a bit "fuzzy" but what is worse, The image tends to dissapear partially, as if passing through a plane which hides the image. This happens with a sketch or 3d model.
I remember this happened a few years ago at school, but don't remember how to fix it/.
Any suggestions?

here is the problem. That hoop is supposed to be continuous.
btFQWmH.jpg

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It´s something that scares a lot my students.
In my view it´s due limited video card.

Try just pressing ctrl+end (isometric view), it should work.

Regards

nx is making its own view boundary. i guess it depends on some customer defaults settings and probably it depends on geometry itself and what you have been doing with rotating and zooming.
if you select fit command, the problem will disappear. i guess, that any other view regenaration, as geraem explaind with isometric view, will work, too.

OK, I am backin the office, so I have done some test about this visualization.
1. open NX
2. file->utilities->customer defaults
3. select Gateway->visualization->view/screen tab. There you have a setting 'Maximum size for an Object's Bounding Box'. In my NX version, this is set to 265000mm
4. I have set this value to just 100mm and clikc OK on customer defaults dialogbox
5. restart NX
6. now, create a simple Block with Dimensions 200x200x200. After some zooming, most likely you will not see the whole body.
7. Click Fit command, and it will be OK.
8. now change the Box to some extreme values like 10000x10000x10000.
9. you can click Fit or any other command as you want, and you will not see the whole body
10. Now, change the customer defaults settings back to the original value. In my case, 265000mm
11. Restart NX and open again the box, you have created before. The one with 10000x10000x10000 values.
12. click Fit and you will see the whole box again.
So, Customer Defaults setting Maximum size for an Object's Bounding Box is the one, that controls, what will you see. It is like a space around your model.
And as I described before already, the problem is with rotating and zooming. When you watching the screen and moving the cursor, you have only two dimension: up/down and left/right. So you have no idea, have far behind (or infront) your model you will click. And because of that, when you rotate about some virtual points and zoomin/out a lot, it can happen, that the part of the model will disappear.

If you go to...

View -> Camera -> Edit...

...near the bottom of the dialog is a section labeled 'Clipping' where it will show you the current settings for the Front and Back Clipping Planes and where you can adjust them either manually or by forcing them to be computed automatically based on the size of your model/assembly by hitting the 'Fit Planes to Extents' button.

Just for informational purposes, note that the maximum 'working space' that NX will 'officially' support (meaning that within this volume, the software will maintain accurate measurements and precise computations within the tolerances specified when creating geometry or performing operations) is a cube one kilometer (1,000,000 mm) on a side with the center of the cube located at 0,0,0.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

I was just going to post what John did . . . it's nothing to be alarmed about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back