Status
Not open for further replies.

VirL

Civil/Environmental
Dec 27, 2019
AR
image_qnopwg.png

Hello,
i'm looking for a design example of a gusset connection in a W shape. The thing is.. we cut the beam as is shown in the picture. Is there any example of this solution? Do you use it in your projects?
Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

No examples, but that's a pretty straightforward gusset connection. Applying basic principles of bolt group analysis, block shear, Whitmore stress block, and uniform force method should get you there. Which part are you having trouble with?

I'm not having trouble, i just find it odd that there wasnt any examples. In some manuals you can see an uncutted w shape connect to the gusset with angles, that seem a little too much for a simple connection.. and that make me wonder if maybe my solution wasnt allowed for some reason.

Ah. Plenty of situations without examples to go along with them - that's what makes the job fun! As long as you can get all of the fundamental checks to work and there's no reason a fabricator can't make it and an erector can't put it up, I see no reason not to do it. You essentially have a channel brace connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back