Impact factor for free falling object on a structural element

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ali95

Structural
May 26, 2024
GB
Hi everyone,

I am looking at a preliminary impact load calculation of a freely falling mass on a composite floor. I am attaching a table that has the impact factors for different impact cases but I am not where this table is taken from (I took a snip from a YouTube video), I searched in the AASHTO and the ASCE 7 but could not find it, could anyone please advise on that, if there is such table in one of these codes or any code?

Regards

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=a129b714-980d-432c-9a4c-30365eb024e3&file=Screenshot_2024-06-05_220827.png
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The formulas in that table could be found at strength of materials books . All of the formulas assume elastic impact , that is , no energy dissipation . The following snip shows the derivation of first formula using energy equations .( From E.POPOV )

impact_load_vspjsh.jpg

The second formula can be derived using h=0 at first expression
The third one can be derived using h=( V**2)/(2g) at first expression

I will suggest you to look EN 1991-1-7 (Part 1-7: General actions — Accidental actions) to see how the impact forces incorporated to structural design .

He is like a man building a house, who dug deep and laid the foundation on the rock. And when the flood arose, the stream beat vehemently against that house, and could not shake it, for it was founded on the rock..

Luke 6:48

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back