Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Impact Factors in International Building Code

Status
Not open for further replies.

smartin

Structural
Nov 24, 2002
US
Does anyone know the correct way to apply the impact factors for machinery listed in Chapter 16 of the IBC? Factors are provided for elevator machinery, light machinery, shaft- or motor-driven, etc. I have seen the computation done several different ways and I'm confused as to the correct way. In designing steel beams to support reciprocating machinery, I have seen some engineers multiply the dead load of the machinery by 1.5 (F=1.5*D)and use that as the total force imparted by the machine. I've seen others use the dead load of the machine and then add the dead load of the machine times 1.5 (F=D+1.5D). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

smartin:

I am not an expert, but I believe your first option is correct. In other words 2006 IBC 1607.8.1&2 and the 2005 ASCE-7 4.7 specify that the you increase the weight of the elevator or machinary by the indicated factor (20%, 50%, 100%) and total load becomes 120%, 150%, 100% of the dead load. This total load is considered a live load.

Thank you both for you input. I have one additional question. If you are going to factor loads for LRFD design, would you incorporate similar to the way it is done for crane rails (vertical impact). Assume dead weight of machine is 15 kips and impact is 50% of the dead weight. Would you do it like this?

F = 1.2D + 1.6L

F = 1.2(15 kips) + 1.6(15 kips)0.50 = 18 kips + 12 kips = 30 kips

or would you treat the entire load as a live load

F = 1.6(1.5)15 kips = 36 kips

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back