Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Impact Loads for Warehouse Columns? 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

BTStructural

Structural
Mar 28, 2022
US
Working a case where a forklift collided with an HSS column in a commercial warehouse for general merchandise (not government warehouse or super sensitive materials inside) and the roof came down. Is there an impact load that the columns need to be designed for in the IBC/ASCE 7? I don't know of one. What about a standard procedure or something for wrapping the columns with something that deforms to take the impact load? A reflective safety color at least?

Thank you!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Caged ladders are on the way out... just not in Canada... with the work I do, I often encounter them and note to the client that they should be using some positive form of restraint. It's like the 'new' hardhats...

Rather than think climate change and the corona virus as science, think of it as the wrath of God. Do you feel any better?

-Dik

Really?!? So tumbling down a perforated steel chute is no longer considered safe? Whatever will I do to entertain myself on the weekends?

Sorry Kootk... there are better and safer ways. As far as the weekends, find a new hobby... [pipe]

Rather than think climate change and the corona virus as science, think of it as the wrath of God. Do you feel any better?

-Dik

Not to pile on KootK, but most of 1910 Subpart D got re-worked, going into effect back in 2017. There's all kinds of fun goodies in there: no more 50 degree stairs, no more 34" tall guardrail on your stringers, grab rail req's depending on your tread width, and fall protection req's for ladders.

I used to be that way until people understood that I really liked them... [ponder]

-Dik

The ladder situation in Canada is not currently ideal.

We've got some provinces that don't really tell you what a compliant ladder is, Alberta is specifically calling out an out of date PIP ladder, which is fun, and my read of the BC requirements is that an administrative rewrite of some stuff may have now made it so it's the 'latest' ANSI ladder instead of a specific old version of it. But they don't seem to have positively intended to incorporate the ladder protection system stuff that's in it and people don't seem to be doing it.

Yup, so I've found out...

-Dik

Very good, thanks for all the responses!

Kootk - Yeah there was about 1" of grout below the base plate, looks like that cracked pretty quick and the anchor bolts look liked they failed in a combination of bending/shear.

Bones - Good call on the HDPE protection, I've advised them of this.

phamENG - Thanks for this! Good info on the load case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back