Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Impact of using SS wire brush over the Inconel welds - any chances of rust spots generation ? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ratheesh_n

Mechanical
Dec 27, 2016
AE
Dear team,

As we know use of CS wire brush over SS and inconel welds are not preferable as it will lead to contamination and rust spots generation. Similarly what will the impact of using ss wire brush over Inconel welds ?

Weld :- Inconel 625

Regards,

Ratheesh N

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

No, it is run through ion exchange resin bends, usually first individual anion/cation bends and then final polished in a mixed media bed. We also de-gassed the water to remove dissolved air and CO2. You can get electrical conductivity (or resistivity) very low, we used to make <1 microMOH (>1MOhm) water.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

Thanks

Rather than think climate change and the corona virus as science, think of it as the wrath of God. Feel any better?

-Dik

ditto...

Rather than think climate change and the corona virus as science, think of it as the wrath of God. Feel any better?

-Dik

Eds,
Is there any available reference that nitric acid can work for the case contaminated by embedded iron in "Nickel alloy"(Not stainless steel)? (Any published book??)
(Please note that I am not attacking you but hope to confirm it by reference and find any other useful information. Actually, there are a number of references that nitric acid can dissolve Fe in "SS", but, at my end, no available reference for the specific case of the firmly embedded Fe in "Nickel alloy", except for the one in ASM.)

SiHyoung Lee

I believe that the ASTM spec for passivation lists it for Ni alloys, and I know that the AMS spec does.
Most of hte scientific work on this is either under the ASME BPE or EHEDG, both dealing with hygienic service (esp pahrma).

Whatever brush material you settle on, it must NEVER have been used on any other material. Impossible to be certain of that unless it is brand new.

"Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but they are not entitled to their own facts."

Team,

One of our vendor has claimed that usage of zirconia grinder is recommended over Inconel material as it will not result in the change in surface chemical composition. Would like to get your view on this

Zircon, garnet, or aluminum oxide work well. We stay away from SiC because if it gets embedded then you can have local galvanic effects.

Eds,
Any specific public reference or failure report you have related to the local galvanic effect by Silicon carbide? (The reason why I am asking is due to that sometimes I review vendor documents and possibly find the use in future and need to recommend another one explaining the reason.) I appreciate if it has some link or you share the name of the title.
Thanks in advance.

SiHyoung Lee

Thanks... this just gets better and better... I had no idea of these issues.

-Dik

I'll have to look. This caution is in some of the corrosion testing procedures. I'll wet grind with SiC, but not dry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back