Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

impact problem in conjunction with gears

Status
Not open for further replies.

cranisch

Mechanical
Jan 25, 2007
DE
hello!
i'am going to do a gear impact simulation with adams and wonder myself if the function impact(...) is a adequate tool therefor. thus i want to know if it is worth trying to or if anyone has got experience with impact simulation for short time ranges or maybe especially with impacts of tooth systems?!
if not, maybe anyone knows a different method to model this problem?!

thanks a lot!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Depends on the level of detail you want.
Most advanced would be to use parasolid geometry for the wheels and use 3D contact. Doable, but slow and lots of disturbances from the faceting.
Almost as good is to constrain the motions to one plane. Then you can use curve-curve contact. Much faster and smoother.
Then we are down to the simplest.
Model two wheels, attached with rev joints to a housing. Add a dummy wheel on top of one of the wheels. Attach that with anothe rrev joint. Add a coupler (or gear) between the dummy wheel and the wheel on the other shaft.
Then create a rotational sforce between the dummy wheel and the wheel it encapsulates. Use a BISTOP (an impact is only one way, bistop is double contact) to describe the force.

Jesper Slattengren

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back