Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Impact socket test rig design

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamesengineer

Mechanical
Aug 2, 2011
GB
Hi Guys

I am currently looking at making a test rig to test the fatigue life of impact vs non impact sockets. I have attached a quick sketch of the rig I had in mind.

I have never designed test rigs before so if anyone has any comments it would be much appreciated.

The main problem I can see is that the air supply will need to be huge to allow to rig to run for many hours at a time.

I look forward to comments :)

James

"Two hands working can do more than a thousand clasped in prayer"

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Air supply just comes from a large enough compressor.. No issue there.

A minor issue I see will in your future be how to start/reverse the bolt reliably. Something like a few microswitches getting hit in the forward/reverse direction and a few cylinders/solenoids to pull the trigger and flip the direction mechanism should take care of that though.

How are you going to control and record the stress level for each cycle and the total number of cycles? Are you going to instrument the test sockets with strain gauges and record the entire test?

Your fatigue life information is going to be of little use if you don't know the stress cycle.

rp

rp - The plan was to use a torsion transducer to find the torque applied by the air gun. Then run the gun at that setting for a set period of time so we know the approximate number of cycles.

I wont know the stress in the socket, but I will be able to compare the lifespan of different socket designs. It's not as accurate as I woud like but my budget is around £100. Luckily I already have an impact wrench.

"Two hands working can do more than a thousand clasped in prayer"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back