Impact values on Hastelloy C276 cast steel CW12MW

Status
Not open for further replies.

marcolino21576

Materials
Jan 3, 2011
IT
Dear All,

we have produced one sand cast body acc. ASTM A494 CW12MW (corrispondent of Hastelloy C276); it's a pressure containing part, therefore customer requested us to carry out an impact test at T=room (not requested by ASTM A494), guaranteeing 27J minimum.

Now, we have carried out the tests, finding 8% elongation (4% minimum required by ASTM) and impact test 14-12-11J (much lower than additional request of 27J made by customer).

Practically speking, my impression is that a material whose minimum elongation is 4% will hardly be able to achieve an impact value higher than 27J, but I would like your opinion on the matter.

Thank you in advance for your help

BR

Marco

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

My opinion is that we don't know the quality level of the sand castings to make a complete judgement. I do believe you should be able to reach 27J at RT for this alloy. Wrought product form of C-276 listed by Haynes for Charpy U-notch is >200 J at -320 deg F.

I would suspect you have a quality problem with these sand castings. I do agree that your properties will be much lower for the casting form in comparison to wrought product form, but I would believe you should easily reach 27 J at RT.

Look at casting quality and check thermal treatment that was performed for the sand casting.

Though I'll say that 8% elong is also rather low for this grade. I would expect something like 15%, the wrought grade is usually over 45%.
Have these been solution annealed?

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Plymouth Tube

The solutionising cycle,which needs a high temperature of soaking (1180-1200C) and water quenching must be missing. Also there could be an issue with the quality of test bar. It is a tough call to produce a Hastealloy valve body casting. I have been there and struggled producing an acceptable quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back