Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Imperical resource for belmouth DC

Status
Not open for further replies.

TravisR

Automotive
Oct 15, 2005
US
I'm Looking for an empirical resource of tested bell mouth entries on many different diameters of pipe that show the discharge coefficient of that pipe at different pressures so I have a good rule of thumb to begin testing with, or I guess the alternative (and highly optimistic) approach... is there an equation that puts up pretty well spot on considering certain pressure gradients, shape (ovalized square and round) and fluid analyzed? I'm more particularly interested in sub sonic gas flow.

In my initial thoughts, it would seem that the largest entry radius packagable would perform best (id est air follows the tangent line that changes as little per unit of measurement in the circumference as possible)

But after stumbling across some other data it seemed that the matter is slightly more technical then that. The flow seems to like ovular (if taking a cross sectional shot of the bell mouth) over a full radius. Where the side closest to the entry uses a rather sharp radius and the side farthest from the entry uses a large well rounded radius.

Any insight to this matter would be greatly appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back