Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

import a mesh from matlab 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

paulis

Chemical
May 31, 2008
DE
Dear all, I would like to know if it is possible to import a mesh from Matlab 6.5.1 and what kind of format do I have to use from matlab to abaqus.
Thanks you so much

Paula

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I also use Matlab to edit and create models before I run them in Abaqus. I've found two ways of doing what you mentioned. The first was to use Matlab to write a python script around the mesh values, then execute that paython script in ABAQUS from the matlab command line (or as last line of the script). That then starts CAE, generates the sketches, and makes model parts from them. Then work from there inside CAE. In this case, I usually called the ABAQUS meshing tool from python instead of supplying the mesh directly.
The other is to use Matlab to write the .inp file directly (the syntax isn't that complicated, at least for the geometry parts). Then you can import the model into CAE using the "import from input file" option, with the finished mesh and everything.

Thank you so much for your answer!!!!! I´ll try to make both ways. Thanks again , i´m so happy even it´s sunday and i´m working!!!

bye bye

Paulis

Dear rmettier and all,

I saved a matlab file as inp.file and then I imported it, but Abaqus didn´t recognize my file . In fact this is the message from the program :
"
The model "hullmatlab" has been created.
WARNING: Empty part PART-1. This occurred while reading keyword options within part definition.
WARNING: Part instance PART-1-1 references an empty part. A new part named PART-1-1 will be created from the mesh data in part instance PART-1-1. "

You suggested me to write an inp file, well I think something is wrong in my script. =(

thanks in advanced!!!

Paulis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back