Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Import Autocad DXF to Sap2000 v10 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

IngNunez

Structural
Jan 22, 2007
PR
I want to draw my solid model in AutoCad 2007 and then export it to Sap2000 v10. Sap2000 help said to use meshed polylines but I dont know what command of AutoCad is used to create them. If someone knows about this please answer me, I will appreciate it.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks for the reply but with 3dface you can only import shell elements. The elements I want to import are elements that model a solid in Sap2000.

Why don't you try some 3D element, like box for example? Use the "BOX" command :) The other thing I would try is extrusion of a region - "EXTRUDE" :)

Thanks for the reply but I tried all this things also. I draw 3d solids but it doesnt work. The thing is that Sap2000 v10 said that to import solids to it you have to create meshed polylines in AutoCad. I dont know to what command the Sap2000 people refer.

Dear IngNunez, hi
i'm from brazil and i don't write in english very well, but... well, i'm with the same problem that you. Did you resolve it? Please, help me... How to draw this "meshed polylines". I'm trying but i don't know how to do it in 3D solid. Thank you.

Eng. Gustavo Cabrelli Nirschl

Hi Gustavo. The only thing I could did was to create shell elements with 3dface and import them to Sap2000 v10.In the edit option after selecting the shell element you can use the extrude areas to solids option. With that command you can apply a thickness to your shell element.

Solution of the problems is in 3D object in AutoCad space, When you draw the cube an after that create dxf file (ASCII) SAP2000 V10 is able to read it as solid element. You have also posilbilty to draw many object each layer coud represent som structural elemnet (FRAMES, shells, etc.) in SAP space and of course layer used for 3D object in AutoCad have to by used for drawing of the 3D object becouse SAP imported this object based on layer in dxf-file.

Daniel

Thank you. I had success... Now, I have an other problem. I'd like to display all distances for lines on screen to project. Are there a form to do it? On display items i didn' find this option...
Thank you more a time.

As I know in SAP2000 10 is up to now no possilbility to display distance , and pick distance of the two points (nodes) is also not aviable may be in realese 11. You can export the view to some CAD system make the dimension an prepare picture for SAP document complicated but possible STAAD, STRAP,and ESA PRIMA WIN now ESA SCIA PT has this possibilty. ESA PRIMA WIN and ESA SCIA PT has special 2D editor of pictures where is possible to make dimensions and ad some text to prepare some pictures discribe solve structural model

Daniel

Well, here is an idea:
You may try to import AutoCAD Surface to Sap2000 (you will get shell elements as result). After that, execute the command “Extrude Areas to Solids”.
Hope this was helpful

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back