Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

import data from excel to SW and create a surface

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhilLee

Mar 11, 2002
CA
I am running SW Office 2007 SP0.0.

I have a spreadsheet containing elevation data from an airport runway. The data is from a survey which took elevation measurements on a 3 meter grid.

This particular runway has some serious dips in it that I would like to show graphically. I had hoped to be able to import the spreadsheet and somehow create a surface that picks up all these points.

The area I have data for is 195m long and the runway is 30m wide.

Is this a possibility?

thanks,
Phil

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Download the .zip file. Extract the .swp file to somewhere convenient, maybe the <SW Dir>\Macros folder. In SW go to Tools>Macro>Run. Select the .swp you just downloaded and click OK. A form should pop up prompting you for the data file.

I've never used this macro, but it looks like the input must be a text file. Since your coordinates are in an Excel file you'll have to export the worksheet to text, making sure the XYZ values are in the proper format.

Also, it might be more useful in your case to avoid importing all the points. Try this instead.

1) If possible, separate your data points into separate lines running parallel along the runway.
2) Create a new coordinate text file for each of these lines.
3) Use the Insert>Curve>Curve Thru XYZ Points command to import each line one at a time.
4) Insert a boundary blend that creates a transition surface going from line to line.

This isn't exactly straightforward, but I believe it will get you what you're looking for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back