Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Import .dwg 3D to Sw

Status
Not open for further replies.

asfede

Mechanical
Jul 10, 2007
AR
Hello, sorry for my poor English.
I need to know if you can import a file. Dwg 3D made in autocad solidworks to work?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Don't worry about your English, many of the people who post here have problems with it and it's their native tongue.

I'm assuming you mean a solid model? If so, you'll probably need to save it as a *.step, *.x_t, or *.iges file, import into SolidWorks and run FeatureWorks on it.

Jeff Mirisola, CSWP
Certified DriveWorks AE
Dell M90, Core2 Duo
4GB RAM
Nvidia 3500M

You can import a 3D dwg file into solidworks. Just open then dwg file, if there is 3d information in the file, it will be available to you. The only thing is that when you import the file, you are prompted by solidworks as to what you want to do with it:
1. Edit in DWG editor
2. Create a new Solidworks Drawing
3. Import to a new Part.
4. Import MDT data from file (imports as parts, assy's, & drawings)

Normally the MDT option is grayed out unless there is 3d data in the file. When you get a drawing from Mechanical desktop, you will see that option is available. Select it and it will import all of the ACIS surfaces from the file.

Regards,
Jon
jgbena@yahoo.com

I believe he is asking about AutoCAD 3D rather than MDT 3D.

SW Help said:
To open an MDT file:

Click Open (Standard toolbar) or File, Open.

In the dialog box, set Files of type to DXF (*.dxf) or DWG (*.dwg), browse to a file, then click Open.

In the DXF/DWG Import Wizard, select Import MDT data from file (imports as parts, assemblies and/or drawings), then click Next.

[red]If you do not have Mechanical Desktop installed, the option to import MDT data is not available.[/red]

On the Document Settings screen, select options for the Model and layout tabs, then click Finish.

SW Help said:
To open a DXF 3D part:

Click File, Open.

Set Files of type to DXF (*.dxf).

Browse to a file, then click Open.

The model is converted immediately into a SolidWorks part, or the DXF/DWG Import Wizard appears.

In the DXF/DWG Import Wizard, select Import to a new part, then click Next.

On the Drawing Layer Mapping tab, click Next.

On the Document Settings tab, select Import this sheet and as 3D curves/model, then click Finish.

[cheers]

All great ideas, here is another one.

In AutoCAD export the solid data (ACIS .sat file). Open the the ACIS .sat file in SolidWorks.

cheers,

Thank you all for the assistance.
In fact I received a 3D. Dxf (not solid) done in autocad not in MTD, but to import it into SW with the wizard, this makes me the first model curves imported. To make it a solid I use imported from 3D curves as a sketch and then make extrución or cutting them to make the solid model.
This is so, is the correct way to work or another?
Thanks for help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back