Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Import dxf model to swx2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocksolid2

Industrial
Oct 23, 2002
GB
Hi

I'm having major problems importing a dxf model into sw2003. Basically, I use File/Open then find the desired dxf file. Hit open and I am presented with the DXF/DWG Import - Drawing Layer Mapping screen. Fine so far. Hit Import to Part then Zoom to fit and voila the model is as it is supposed to be. So, I hit next, then change the units to millimetres(but that shouldnt affect the model, right?). OK, I can still see the model in the preview window but then I go finish and this is where it goes awry.

All I have is an open sketch, nothing in the feature tree whatsover. When I close the Sketch it disappears. I've tried altering the settings in the import window but I'm no better off.

Is there someting I'm missing here?

Please help tipsters!!!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

No. The sketch isnt hidden as when I open the file through the import window it leaves the open sketch, but when I close the sketch it disappears completely. Really stumped by this....

What SP are you on? SP5.1 is available for DL now. Try upgrading.

It might be a bad file, even though your seeing the preview it doesn't mean that's exactly what's going to come out when you click finish. Try getting another DXF file.

Have you tried it on a different machine to rule out your machine vs. the file?

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [santa3] [americanflag]
CSWP.jpg

faq731-376

Thanks for the replies.

Do you know where can I get service pack 5 from? I've managed to use the dxf file in other software, rhino for example and no problems there. Any suggestions?.

I meant do you have the view sketch option checked in your menu bar? Or right click on the sketch in the tree and set the option to show sketch. That's usually what gets me.

There is a viewer called PS-Exchange at that can view DXF. I find this viewer an invaluable tool for double-checking imported data.

Actually, the viewer is a pay-per-translation translator, but the viewing is free.

[bat]"Great ideas need landing gear as well as wings."--C. D. Jackson [bat]

Hi there

Well, I'm still having some trouble with this opening a dxf file into solidworks. Nothing is hidden and I can get the file from dxf into stl format with all surfaces etc, but obviously its not editable. Weird thing is that it opens fine as a model in AutoCAD 2002 - it seems it just doesnt want to export! Has anyone got any other ideas how I might complete this export?

rocksolid2,

Don't know if anybody took you up on your "send the file" request, but I will look at it. Keep in mind that this does not mean I know how to fix it, but you never know. Maybe my gray matter has some little bit of knowledge in it...?

If you want, send it to webmaster@okswugdelete.com with the "delete" (of course)...

-----------
Mr. Pickles

Hi Mr Pickles,

Ive tried emailing to the address you supplied above but with no joy. (I'd really appreciate your looking at the file.) Do I need to send it to that exact address - I dont quite understand the 'with the "delete" ' part??

Regards

I'd be glad to take a look, as well. You may contact me at the email address listed in my profile. Please do not send attachments until I know the size of the file.

rocksolid2,

The last part of the email address listed would be okswug.com instead of okswugdelete.com

Not trying to make it hard, just trying to eliminate spammers from scanning for addresses.

Therefore: webmaster at okswug.com

-----------
Mr. Pickles

Received DXF files from rocksolid2

1.) opened file in Delcam PS-Exchange to preview data. 14,000+ surface patches in the form of Autocad "Autosolids".

2.) open DXF in SW2003 SP5.0. Message states SW DXF translator does not translate Autosolid entities.

3.) opened DXF in AutoCAD R14. Looks good. Exported to IGES.

4.) opened IGES in SW (type in "IGESOUT" command). Looks great. All solids translated.

Recommendation: Don't use DXF or DWG to transmit solid data. These formats do not translate well.

If you do not have AutoCAD avaialble for retranslation, contact a 3rd party translator to retranslate to parasolid or IGES for you. I recommend
[bat]"Great ideas need landing gear as well as wings."--C. D. Jackson [bat]

Tick.... you stated :

>>opened DXF in AutoCAD R14. Looks good. Exported to IGES.

The problem there is that I believe Autodesk dropped the IGESOUT feature of AutoCAD in r14 so if you have 2000, 2000i, 2002 or 2004 you're kinda screwed. Glad to see someone else hanging on to old (good) software. r12 DOS ruled! :O)[/b]

p2.gif
~ Phlyx ~

If you have newer than R14 (One of the better versions), then you can do a File - Export in ACAD, and choose ACIS (*.sat), in lieu of IGES....

Old software? I think I still have r12 on floppies...

-----------
Mr. Pickles

I also have had trouble importing DXF into SW2003. I found that importing into 2001+ is more reliable. Fortunately I still have 2001+ loaded. Maybe give that a try if you can.

The problem may be coming from how the DXF file was created.

If the dxf file does not have the units specified in the file, you need to tell Solidworks before you import the file to your part what the units are.

If you import the part, then change units, the scale may get completely screwed up.

When Importing the DXF file you can tell it which type of Unit to use - Inches, Millimeters, etc... Look in the upper left hand corner on the second import menu.

If you can show a regression between SW01+ and SW03 DXF importation then you should send that to your VAR. Because SW03 Import of DXF and DWG has been improved. Also try it in SW04 to make sure that the problems you are seeing are not already fixed in 04.

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [santa3] [americanflag]
CSWP.jpg

faq731-376

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back