Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Import from HP SolidDesigner problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

loeb

Mechanical
Nov 25, 2001
US
I am having problems importing models from a customer who is using HP SolidDesigner. No matter what format my customer sends me, when I import the files, I either get useless geometry or the parts come in as surfaces with some surfaces misplaced or missing. What I'd like to see is the parts and assemblied come in as solids.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Start SolidWorks.
Look at you SYSTEM OPTIONS under FILE LOCATIONS.
Scroll thru these and make sure any files you intend to "share" are on you network server and not you local C:\.
Then make sure you use the same settings on each PC.

There may be other files here-and-there that you want to set-up this way, but this should get you started.
"Where oh where are you tonight? Why did you leave me here all alone? I searched the world over and thought I found true love. You met another and, phbbbt, you were gone."
Hee Haw [jester]

Have you tried parasolid file format? If HP's SD can export that, it's probably your best option. "The attempt and not the deed confounds us."

loeb,

I agree w/ MadMango that Parasolid is the best option to choose. As I know HP SolidDesigner can export Parasolid and IGES format.

What we afaid is your customer files (assembly) is a multiple body files when import into SW2001+ which is not supported.

[yinyang]

Can you tell me more about what "Parasolid" is? SolidDesigner has one export option called "PROE-DIRECT". Do you think that this is the same?

SolidDesigner has the following export options:

ACAD IGES
ALIAS IGES
ANYC IGES
ProE IGES
UGRA STEP
ALIAS STEP
ANYC STEP
ProE STEP
UGRA IGES
SWRK IGES
SRF_CAM IGES
PROE-DIRECT
SAT
STL
VRML

From "Parasolid is an exact boundary-representation geometric modeler supporting solid modeling, generalized cellular modeling and integrated freeform surface/sheet modeling." Parasolid file extension is usually .x_t but it can be several others(.x_b, .xmt_txt,.xmt_bin).

Some programs treat "Export" and "Save As" differently. Is this the case with SolidDesigner? If so, maybe your customer can try a "Save As" operation instead of an Export.

I see that .SAT is available, have you tried that with SW?

"The attempt and not the deed confounds us."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back