Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Import JT files from MultiCAD

Status
Not open for further replies.

saarp

Automotive
Apr 17, 2016
IL
Hi.
I'm not sure where is the right place for the question - here or in the NX forum...

We recently get NX files from Daimler.
For example, one delivery has the following files:
A1234.prt (assembly)
A1234_1.jt (geometry)

If we open the assembly on the Daimler Supplier Package, it creates a file called A1234_i_jt.prt, and it appears in the assembly navigator, but not on the hard drive.
When we close the files, and save them, we don't see the _jt.prt file, and when we try to "import assembly into teamcenter" for A1234.prt , it shows error that it doesn't find the file A1234_1_jt.prt
Failed to find file using current search options, part left unloaded

If we open the A1234.prt on the "native" NX 10.0 , it shows the same error as in the TeamCenter.

If we open the JT file by drag-drop, and then open the A1234.prt, on the NX 10.0 native , then it shows up, but if we "save all" it created the A1234_1_jt.prt in the folder.
Next time we open the A1234.prt, we get the error:
Part is not a valid version of component part

We don't know what to do.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

File-> Options-> Assembly Load options...
Change "From Search Folders" to "As Saved..." and see if that helps.

The same will hold true when you Import Assembly into Teamcenter. That menu will have a Load option tab/field, as well.

I suggest making a 'clean' assembly in native before importing into TC.
Could try:
Open A1234_1.jt and save (to the same folder) and close. Open A1234.prt and replace A1234_1.jt component with A1234_1_jt.prt and save A1234.prt. Close all and reopen. If successful with no errors, then Import A1234.prt into Teamcenter (it will take the sub-components).

Gary Bangs

Changing to As Saved issues the following error, shown on the picture attached:
download.aspx

Opening and saving to the folder, and then replacing component, issues another error, shown on another picture...

download.aspx

And the assembly navigator looks like this:
download.aspx

hm, perhaps it has an issue with "." or "|" in folder name. Can you put the two original files in c:\temp. Then, use "From Search Folders..." and remove default folder and add "c:\temp" to list, and try.

Replacement looks like it already renamed to .._jt.prt. Try, adding the component in again (on top of and in the same location), then, delete the original instance of the component. Save and reopen.

Valid version - meaning having a 'linear heritage' from the original file (Save As...). Typically, if you have a new file, with the same name, you'll get this error.

Gary Bangs

There's no connection to the folder name. The error from "As saved" is due to the original location of the file in Daimler (we get the file from them...)
As for my local computer, this specific file is in D:\ , in the root directory.

Your "solution" may be relevant for a single file.
What if we get 5000 files, with 15 JT files located in 100 different positions? (for example - screws, washers, nuts).

We are looking for an "automatic" or "semi-automatic" solution for this.

Opening each JT and manipulating it with "save as" is not a good solution for us. Takes too much efforts, and can cause mistakes.

Thank you

well... as far as 'Not a valid version..' goes, if it loads the components correctly and you can do your work, it may not make any difference, unless you intend on sending all this data back to your customer - then, they may have the same issues with your data. If you anticipate receiving 5000+ part assemblies, I would strongly suggest immediately begin interviewing for an onsite TC/NX admin/mentor that can assist you and your group meet your deadlines and keep your processes running smoothly, both native and TC. Even a Siemens Application Engineer could be requested to help you out of a jam. Talk to your Sales Rep, s/he might be able to set something up - even a few lunch'n'learns via conference call (no travel req'd!). Frantically posting to a free forum will not be as effective as you expect, and no one wants to see you lose the account because this was the only place you turn for support. You could try calling GTAC, spend some phone time with them. Your customer may have a CAD contact that could assist you in managing their data and how to handle their particular method of export. You could give them a try, as well.
Not being there and seeing what you are dealing with, puts us at a disadvantage - and leaves us shooting in the dark. The issues you describe is not the behavior I expected to see, and have not encountered in my travels. Perhaps someone else has?

What do we do next? We may have to start from the beginning...
How are the files sent to you? zipped?
Let me try some .jt file on my end and see what I can discover...

Gary Bangs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back