Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Import model with a displacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

rideway

Mechanical
Nov 23, 2009
DE
Hi everybody

I am trying to include(import) a sub-model but I need to get it done with a translation. In LSDyna was as easy as writing *INCLUDE_TRANSFORM but I can not find something similar in ABAQUS.

Maybe it could be done with *NMAP but I dont know how.

Someone can help me? Thanks a lot!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi!

Thanks for answering so fast. I am not working with the CAE environment, just with code. I don't think that is possible to work with assemblies in text mode or at least it must be really difficult.

Any ideas/help?

Thanks!!

You could take your .inp file and open it up. Extract the coordinates of all of the nodes and apply a transformation matrix manually and externally. Essentially you would import a giant matrix of coordinates into matlab or an equivalent math program and apply the transformation to each row of coordinates.

If this sounds unappealing try using the *transform command. Details can be found here
It's a pretty simple python command that you place in the .inp file and apply to each *nset you have.

good luck. have fun.

That was exactly was I was looking for. Read the manual though, but I thought it was only to transform another coord syst. that could be already inside the model...

Thanks a lot!!

Sorry mate. I have tried it today and it doesn't work in my model. I am trying it now with *NCOPY but when I import it in the CAE, it remains in the same place as well...

It worked quite well with *NCOPY, *ELCOPY and *MODEL CHANGE:

First copy nodes and use translation and rotation. Its a bit tricky with the CHANGENUMBER option.

Then *ELCOPY and be careful to use in SHIFT NODES the number used in CHANGENUMBER.

But now I get my part doubled but I can not delete it. Tried with *MODEL CHANGE, DELETE and addign the element sets but it is not working.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back