Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

import of IGES file

Status
Not open for further replies.

jay24

Mechanical
Mar 30, 2003
IN
Hello all!!

I'm not able to import an IGES file created in CATIA-V5 into ANSYS-5.4 software. Can anybody tell me what might be the problem and how to rectify it.
One more thing, the extension of storing a part in IGES format is *.igs. But while saving it shows that its defifnitely an IGES file. Does this has anything to do with the problem?

Thanx in Advance

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Change the file extension and try again.But you will probably have great difficulties while meshing that IGES file.Try to use a 3rd party software like SolidWorks and export as a parasolid.CATIA IGES files are hell.ANSYS 5.4 may not be supporting new IGES versions either.Also you may try to change export IGES entities type from B-Spline to standard or vice versa.

I face probelms sometimes when I try to import IGES with no defeaturing.

Try importing IGES with defeaturing. The only disadvantage would be that one cannot perform boolean operations.

Hi,

I use catia V5 as well, the only way I can get a clean transfer is in V5 options set the IGES export :Curve and surface type to "BSpline"
And in Ansys, use the defeature option.

I have had similar problems for a long time. I am now using Pro/E with Ansys. The integration works seamlessly. IGES imports are a nighmare if you handle assemblies. It works most of the time for individual parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back