Import Solidworks part to ANSYS using IGS 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaabain

Bioengineer
Apr 26, 2007
FR
Hello everybody:

I have to import a solid piece from Solidworks to ANSYS to study it using FEA. I have saved this piece as igs file (With good options: "IGES solid/surface entities" is Trimmed surface - type 144). When I try to import this file to ANSYS, it does’nt work and I get the following message:

Because keypoint merging has not been performed, automatic volume creation is suppressed.

Anybody could help me to solve this problem?

Thank you in advance,
Shaban

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Chaabin,

To be honest, I've had more success with parasolid files importing into Ansys than with .iges files. You may want to try and import your part using .sat files instead.

Jenn

It depends on how you draw your model in Solidworks. I imported IGES files of the same geometry but with different way of drawing.

Some lines showed up in one model, and some lines didn't show up. Especially, for complicated curve surface, there might be problems for IGES file to generate solid.

Hi,
"Some lines showed up in one model, and some lines didn't show up. Especially, for complicated curve surface, there might be problems for IGES file to generate solid."

Yes. It is a matter of spline order (or degree, as you prefer calling it). Ansys is stuck to low-order splines while nowadays modelers have virtually no limits. When the import of a spline curve fails, you have to break it down in the CAD system near the locations where the curvature changes brutally, thus generating two connected splines of lower order.

That being said, I think the original problem was due to not setting the "merge coincident keypoints" flag in the initial "IGES import" dialog box. Should restart the import to correct it (can not fix it afterwards, in this case).

Regards

Hi again,

I have also tried to import this piece as parasolid file but it didn't work and I got this message:

"File file.anf does not exist. The /INPUT command is ignored."

With sat. Files, I also didn't succeed.

On the other hand, I have also set the flag "merge coincident keypoints" on and off and it still doesn't work.

I hope finding somebody who can help me to solve this problem because I can do nothing without solving this problem.

Thank you in advance,
Chaabain

Hello,

1) I would really use SAT-Files, as suggested
2) Check your Geometry in SOLIDWORKS
3) Break the Geometry in more simpler Solids an export them separately to Ansys. Then use VGLUE or VADD to reassemble the parts.

The 3 steps above means more effort but it should work then.

Regards
Alex

Hi again,

I have tried all what has been mentioned but it didn't work till now. I think that how we design a piece using Solidworks is the most important but how to do, I don't know !

I hope finding solution to this problem.

I would like to thank all the friends who have helped in replying to this thread and all who will reply to give us the solution.

Thank you very much,
Chaabain

Did u check ur geometry in solidworks for errors. Sometimes 3D modelers create the geometry with some approximations. This can also cause problems.
ANSYS install connections to different softwares, is solidworks is in the list?

Hi again,

Actually, I've verified my geometry in Solidworks and there was no errors. Now I'm trying to draw my piece in another way, because as I think, the problem is belong to the way we draw the piece in. I hope getting this problem solved because all my work depends on this peice.

Thank you for more answers,
Chaabain

Hi,
all i can add here is that so far i have succeeded in importing just rectangular areas and curved lines...everything else like curved or other shape than rectangular of areas is not possible to import...for volumes i suppose is the same
Regards

hi,

generally I use .sat for volumes, .IGES for surfaces.
As miha said, I suggest to semplify your IGES model (draw surfaces only) and create volumes in Ansys using booloeans (extrude, subratct, add glue...)

I had similar problems with my IGES model, luckily my volumes were very simple, i rebuilded them in ansys

Hi Again,

I've redrawn my model using boolean functions and I was finally able to import this model to ANSYS as IGS.

Finally, I would like to thank all the friends who have answered to my question.

Chaabain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back