Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

importation of ".igs" file for meshing

Status
Not open for further replies.

ldd

Materials
Jun 28, 2004
FR
Hello,
i'm using SolidWorks as modeler, but i want to mesh my parts in I-deas. So i create ".igs" file. when i import them in I-deas, that's all right still i try to mesh in solid. i can select the solid part, make the external mesh (like a skin mesh)but then it says that it can't save my mesh because it failed...and that's all i have!...
Have you any ideas? ;-)
thanks a lot for your help

ldd

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Need more details. When you import the iges file I'm assuming you checked to see if your part was a closed volume. If it's not a closed volume, the mesh won't generate. You can check to see if you have a valid closed volume by doing a properties check (Ixx Icon). Then if you hit the "calculate" button you should see no open surface area.

Are you sure your mesh isn't failing due to small features or something related to the geometry? If you have difficult geometry the mesh can fail unless you specify a smaller mesh or control the free locals when volume meshing and controlling the curve points when section meshing. Please elaborate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back