Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Importing attribute information to SQL data base

Status
Not open for further replies.

cadace

Electrical
Dec 4, 2002
NZ
We currently export attribute information into excel. Does anyone have any recommendations on exporting to access or SQL database?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have done all of database routines (whether Excel, SQL, or Access) with ADO. Makes it easier to switch between data types if you have to.

"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." — Will Rogers

Hi borgunit
Can you explain some more? is the information exported able to be imported back into the drawing attributes? do you know of any software that does this?. We currently export to excel and then back into the drawing succesfully, but we a wanting to take the next step and use access or another sql data base.

I do not know your programming knowledge level. I am referring to accessing the info from a vb routine in AutoCAD. If you cannot program then you may be limited to hiring someone to do this for you. As an alternative, if you have Express tools, it has a few routines to Import/Export attribute info.

"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." — Will Rogers

Haven't done much programming for ages (wrote a ton of lisp routines back in the early days of Acad). Currently doing a lot of reading to gain some understanding of visual basic, Im trying to teach an old dog a new trick. Im assuming I will have to write a specific routine?.
The express tools are too limited for what we require and to be perfectly honest are very crude. We currently use a third party application called Excellink which exports & imports backwards and forwards from autocad & excel very successfully but we would like to pull the information to a data base to be used in a number of other areas of the business.
Do you know of any third party software out there?

Thanks TCARPENTER1
Checked out your FAQ, great insight and well worth posting the information. Spent the last few days crawling the net and playing round with some code, getting a feel for it now. The only problem is its given me other ideas. I hope I haven't created a monster.
Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back