Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Importing CAD Assemblies in Abaqus/CAE

Status
Not open for further replies.

automechanicar

Mechanical
Nov 28, 2007
NL
Hi,

I am quite new to Abaqus but I want to import an assembly in Abaqus/CAE which has been created in Pro/Engineer. I'm a little bit confused as I can not import the assembly as STEP file (.stp). It seems that it is only possible to import it as a parasolid (.x_t). What is the most used way for importing an assembly file from a CAD program, particularly Pro/E?

Kind regards.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you exported the assembly from Pro/E as a step file, then by default it will contain multiple "parts" within the one file/ SO within Abaqus/CAE you just File-Import-Part-*.step and use the default option in teh dialog which is to import all parts from file. Once you have all the parts, go to the assembly module and create instances of all the parts. They will automatically come up in the same position as the CAD system exported them, so your job is then done. (This apporach applies equally to iges, step, vda, SAT)

Thanks a lot! All works fine! I almost got scared that I had to assemble all parts again wihtin ABAQUS/CAE in a similar way as in a CAD environment.

Kind regards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back