Importing CAD files into Ansys

Status
Not open for further replies.

styvbjorn

Structural
Jun 28, 2005
SE
Help me please!

What format should one use to import CAD files into Ansys. Someone told me that STEP files were preferable but Ansys 9.0 doesn't seem to suport those anymore. IGES is an alternative, but I don't want to spend a week fixing te corrupt file. The CAD package I use is IDEAS.

Thanks in advance

Björn

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Depends on your licence, Bjorn. The default CAD import type given with a standard licence is iges, so this may be your only choice. If you need to import different types of CAD file (step, x_t, etc.) then you need to buy this update for your licence. The iges translator in ANSYS is pretty good, but in Workbench it's a lot better. I've found that parasolid files (x_t) are the most stable geometry for me.

------------
See faq569-1083 for details on how to make best use of Eng-Tips.com

I suppose IDEAS has a similar kernel with UG (though born very differently, they converged to be NX recently), so Drej's advice to use Parasolid format is very valuable: we use UG NX2 and the import of Parasolid files is generally very good (it fails only in some very particular situations, for example with very high-order spline / B-spline curves and surfaces).

Hi! Thanks for the response. So, I'm pretty much stuck with the IGES format then. Bummer! I don't think I will get my Ansys license upgraded. Well, I guess I better start fixing that friggin' IGES file...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back