Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Importing DXF drawing views into catpart sketches. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

TSTUEBER

Mechanical
Dec 2, 2002
US
I have a question on copying and pasting dxf views into sketches. When I select the geometry from the imported catdrawing and copy it to the catpart how can I manipulate the geometry to align it with the origin of the view to the origin of the model itself? The same goes for multiple views on multiple sketch planes, how do I make all of the views coincident or line up?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If I understand your question; after the geometry is copied into a sketch, you should add constraints to position the geometry as well as dimension the sketch.

As far as aligning views, V5 has a way to align views that you've generated or created interactively. But I would just move the views manually and line them up by eye since your working with DXF data.

Dear Friend

what i could suggest you is create a point at 0,0 coordinates in each view and then copy the dxf to catpart and align the 0,0 point in dxf to 0,0 of the catpart try this out it might work
amit

So do I create the points at 0,0 in the drawing for each seperate view and do I put the points on existing geometry or on the catprints 0,0. Then when I copy and paste the views into a catpart do I copy the whole sheet, or view by view? Also when aligning the sketches how do I get the geometry to move without steching or messing up if none of it is constrained becuase of being an imported dxf?[ponder]

Thanks, Along with everyones insight and some playing a round I also found that the operation tool bar in skeching helped alot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back