Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Importing Japanese toys ,CE mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

dammyg

Computer
Jun 5, 2007
GB
Hi, I want to import japanese toys but they do no have the CE logo which is essential, instead they use the ST logo( safety toy) which is very similar, does anyone know if I can self certify these products myself and would I need the manufacturers permission to do so?
as testing has already been done would it be enough to stick a label with all the necessary information?

Thanks for any help you can provide

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't know about toys, but other products can be self certified. The question is do you want to and are you prepared and able to accept the risk and liability?

Not knowing your situation, I would suggest working with the manufacturer.

Hi, I am not sure that is a problem, I never knew about this CE problem till recently.
There are lots of online companies selling import japanese toys which I assume also don't know about this.
The ST mark is actually based on the CE and US toy safety testing system but I have only been told that it is required to have CE in the EU.
I do not want to be held liable if there is an injury or something, if the toys are safe and someone gets injured by them am I responsible? who would be liable?

What do you mean working with the manufacturer, I'm all up for contacting the manufacturer and doing what I can but I am not talking about a single toy, there are lots of toys I am interested in from a few different companies and I am not prepared to spend lots of money for tests etc.

There are a number of EU directives relating to safety and my memory is that the one relating to toy safety was one of the first.

Anyway, all toys offered for sale in the EU MUST be CE marked to show they are "safe". Failure to do so is a criminal offence which in extreme cases can result in a prision sentence (I'm speaking with regard to the UK, but I imagine it applies in other EU states).

I would suggest starting here:
and
and
and read the documents referred to.

If a manufacturer outside the EU has not CE marked the toys then you as the importer can CE mark them having established they conform to the requirements of the Directive.

thanks a lot for the information.
I'm gonna order some japanese toys from an EU country,
they are a big company only providing for companies so everything should be ok, if there was any problems would they be held responsible as they are the 'first' importer.

I am still a bit unclear about what exactly is a toy, 'any product or material designed or clearly intended for use in play by children of less than 14 years of age, but excluding those products specified in Schedule 3’ [of the Regulations]' is what is stated but some pencils have CE on them which I wouldn't really call play, so is it any item that is aimed at children? which is a bit complicated as would that involve even things like note pads with children designs, other stationery, wallets,bag etc... that are 'aimed'at kids?

Also is there any warnings etc needed for items that do not need CE on them?

"japanese toys from an EU country"
Any company in the EU placing items on the market in the EU has the responsibility of ensuring it is safe. You are entitled to presume it is safe if purchased from an EU company and bears the CE mark.

"some pencils have CE on them "
Maybe that is compliance with another directive?

Simply put, having the CE mark on your product means you can freely sell it within the European Countries. It is the responsibility of the manufacturer or re-seller who is selling into the EC that the specific products comply with the European Directives and standards associated with that product.
The size of company is no reflection on their ability to get you out of the mire.
If you yourself are re-selling these products into Europe and they do not have the CE mark on it then you take responsibility. If you purchase a product that does not have a CE mark and only use the product yourself, then you have no comeback on the manufacturer if it bursts in flames or your 3 yr old child swallows something they shouldn't. That's your hard cheese I'm afraid. It's like going on holiday to China, buying a toy, coming home and plugging it into the supply in your home, it burning, giving off toxic gases and everyone dies. As it does not have a CE mark, you or any survivor would have no comeback as it was purchased in China with no CE mark.
If all that happened and it did have a CE mark, then you have a case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back