Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Importing nodes from Pro E to FEmap

Status
Not open for further replies.

sanlight

Mechanical
Apr 25, 2007
US
I have a large welded structure (I beam, L beam)in Pro E assembly.
I want to make this structure in Femap to run analysis. Right now guess I need to measure all lengths and intersections and make nodes in Femap to generate elements. Is there anyway I can add points, datum points or lines in Pro E assembly (without any assembly reference) then delete the original assembly and import this geometry as nodes and elements in Femap..???
I am not sure I made myself clear here, please help!!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

iges, neutral file,

can't you analyze the model in Pro-E ... we used to have Pro-E models, analyzed in Nastran, displayed in Pro-E, all pretty seemless (just like your welding !)

Thanks for you help rb1957,

What do you mean by iges, Neutral? Should I save ProE assembly in this format or what? what next?

Yes I can run this analysis in ProE using Promechanica.. But client want to use femap...

i hope we're not confusing a CAD model with a FEM model ...

is your Pro-E assembly a bunch of parts, or a Mechanica model ?

i suspect you've got a Pro-E assembly of parts, and you've pressed the mechanica button and it's gone off and converted your structure into a FEM and analyzed it. if this is it, then look into exiting Mechanica with an anaylsis model, preferrably a NASTRAN bulk data file.

if your Pro-E model is a Pro-E FEM, then life should be much easier. I'm sure Pro-E will export in IGES format or export an analysis model (again NASTRAN bulk data).

this you can read into FeMap, and "bob's your uncle"

Its a ProE assembly (Bunch of parts)
I do not want to use ProMechanica nor ProFEM.

I dont think one "mechanica button" is good enough to run the analysis. I do not have anything but assembly made for manufacturing drawings in ProE.

I want to convert this model in to Femap. I can not directly export this model in Femap because
1. this model is manufacturing model with rounds, weld geometry, fillets etc.
2. I want to model in linear or plane elements. ProE export will result in 3D solid model.

I want to export this model such a way that I get NODES or points inn Femap.... I dont want to use Mechanica or FEM.

Thank you for help.!

ok, you've got a bunch of solid parts that you want to mesh

maybe you can use IGES format to export the assembly into FeMap but IGES is kind of fussy so it might not work well.

maybe you can use the Pro-E FEA to generate a mesh and extport this to FeMap; i think this is much more likely to be successful.

all FEA programs will want to mesh a 3D solid with 3D elements. if you Really want to use 2D, most likely you'll have to mesh one surface (inner or outer) of the part.

you should be able to mesh in Pro-E and export an analysis file (NASTRAN bulk data) into FeMap.

if you're having trouble, i'd recommend the Pro-E help desk.

Thanks for your reply rb1957

"all FEA programs will want to mesh a 3D solid with 3D elements. if you Really want to use 2D, most likely you'll have to mesh one surface (inner or outer) of the part."

This is what I am going to do.!
Thanks

i think the easier approach is to mesh the surface in Pro-E and export it to FeMap.

i think it'd be harder to export the geometry out of ProE via IGES or neutral file

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back