Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Importing Points? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

TJJohnson

Mechanical
Dec 17, 2004
US
There has to be a quick way of importing an ascii or a text file of x,y,z coordinates into UG and plotting them as points in space, right?

Does anyone have any leads before I start plotting points one by one?

Thanks,

Tim

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Well, either one. If I can just get a set of points to plot in space, I can easily grab them all and run a spline through them. In the end though, what I need is a set of points with a spline running thru them.

Thanks alot for any help. I just found these forums and am liking what I see when I am browsing through the different threads.

Sincerely,

Tim

Welcome to the forum. A quick piece of advice, make sure you search through the topics before posting a new topic. Chances are, you'll find that your problem has already been addressed. Don't feel bad though, I'm as guilty as anyone! :)

Anyway, when you go to create a spline, there is an option "Points from File" you can use to import a spline from points.

You can do this in either sketch or modeling...

Check out the documentation inside of UG, its pretty useful (which isn't always the case)...

Regards,
Grant
Aerospace Engineer

COOL!

Ok, I searched all over the place for "importing" points, but now I found that UG calls it "inputting" points. Very cool.

This is exactly what I needed. I made the apline, then I just plotted a point set on the spline's knot-points to show the points like I needed.

Thanks a million,

Tim

tjjohnson, if you have a text file of x,y,z cordinates ... say for example

then you quickly convert it into a grip file with some modifications in the file
p(1)=point/1,2,3
p(2)=point/2,1,3 etc

and then run the grip program in Ug to import all the points. Now this is one of the many other options.

San-j
Automotive.

-Make an excel spreadsheet with your data points, file, saveas, formatted text (space delimited, *.prn), save, ok, yes
-close excel file
-in windows explorer, rename to *.dat
-(Import the points in the form of a spline.)
-Model, Insert,curve, spline, (multiple segments on), through points, points from file,ok, cancel
-now the spline will appear with the points on the spline.
-Now you will create the point set from the spline points. Insert, curve, point set, spline knot points, select the spline, cancel
-the points are now detached from the spline, delete the spline to show them.

Good luck,
Vince

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back