Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Importing .Stp file 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Abitante

Bioengineer
May 29, 2020
US
Hello,

I am a Phd Student trying to use Abaqus for the first time to perform FEA on a bone model. I received a .stp file from a collaborator, who has used it in abaqus before, but I am having issues importing the part.

When I go to import part, stp or step file, I get the message, "Use the create part from STEP file Dialog box," yet no dialog box appears.

Has anyone else had issues with dialog boxes not appearing?
Using Abaqus CAE 201

Thank you
Tom

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Did you try importing other step files (some simple shapes) ? If none of them works, there might be a problem with Abaqus installation.

I guess I will try reinstalling. I tried with a simple cube.stp, and same thing

"Use the Create Part from STEP dialog" message at the bottom, but no dialog box.

Thank you

Same issue. I right click part, hit import, select the .stp file (including the one you offered), and nothing happens. No error, nothing

Abaqus_tkgo5h.jpg

Thank you

There can be many reasons. It could be the incompatibility of the graphics or graphics card with the software installation. It could even be some misstep on your part. Or, something benign like a window resizing issue. Have you successfully imported any geometry before into this particular instance of Abaqus/CAE in the current hardware/software environment you are working with?

Assuming you are in the Windows environment, try using Alt+Tab or Windows logo+Tab to see if it is there and just not showing on your screen. If yes, then Alt+spacebar will allow you to move it with the keyboard to bring it in your viewing area. Afterwards, you can maximize/resize it.

Are you new to this forum? If so, please read these FAQs:

So I've tried all the windows alt tab options, looking for a potential box thats hidden. As for graphics card, I am able to load the same file to another FEA program, and I have been able to upload a .inp file to abaqus successfully

And you were right. I had to just play around with my resolution and display settings until it finally appeared. Unfortunately it never appeared as a "selectable window" so alt tab never gave me any clue. I just decided to do some guess work and that worked...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back