Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Imprinting a line on a surface?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrupnow

Mechanical
Apr 18, 2012
US
Is there a command that will allow you to imprint a curve on a surface. It would be a curve or multiple curves in the middle of the surface. They are not all connected, so divide face will not work. The purpose is to use it as a cutter path after exporting as a .step file.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I know the curves can be projected. But I only want the solid body with the lines on the face of the solid. Is this possible in any way?

Do you mean that you want to create faces bounded by curves on the face of a solid body? You sound like you're describing an 'edge' on the face of a solid. You can do that, but the resulting body has to be manifold, which means an edge must be shared by two faces. Say you have a solid cube. You could have an edge which ran from the mid-point of one edge to the mid-point of another edge, splitting the face into two faces. But you cannot have an edge that starts at the mid-point of an edge and then ends somewhere in the middle of the face. Or an edge the starts and ends out on the middle of a face without intersecting that edges of the face of the cube. I hope you understand what I'm describing.

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
Irvine, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

The secret of life is not finding someone to live with
It's finding someone you can't live without

For the solid modeler a curve which does not divide a surface is "not logical". Imagine taking a sheet of paper and ripping it half ways but not through.
it is defined in Parasolid as a "cut" or a "Spike" and should not exist since this does not exist in the manufactured world.(-It probably does even if I cannot think of an example now.) The paper is ½ torn why it has that rip and that rip is open, it would in a solid modeler consist of two edges, one on each side of the rip.
I think that for you to use the divide face, the curves must indeed divide the face.

Do not know if this helped or not.

Regards,
Tomas

Never try to teach a pig to sing. I wastes your time and it annoys the pig.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back