Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

improvement of octane number with ethanol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sadiel

Petroleum
May 16, 2002
CU
How can I simulate the improvement of octane number in gasoline with ethanol without using a linear relation?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

A good reference I have is 'Guide to Petroleum Product Blending'. It covers predicting many different properties of hydrocarbons when blending them. Octane is one of them and they include the effect of methanol and ethanol.

You can order it via the Internet.

Try this:
(Volume of ethanol X octane of Ethanol +
Volume of Gasoline X octane of Gasoline)

Divide this by total volume of blend, this will give you Ron of blend.

Regards
SAA

Two gasolinhe components rarely blend in a linear fashion. The reference that TD2K suggests will likely describe the bonus or debit that you get when two materials are blended.

If everything blended linearly, there wouldn't be a need for products such as WKBlend.

Regards,

Bob

We are just now working on a change from MTBE to ETBE production, and we actually have a problem concerning EtOH in the product. It isn't in octane number, but in vapor pressure of the blend. Due to not fully understood interaction in the blend, its vapor pressure is lower than linear calculation suggests.
Keep this in mind when trying EtOH as blending component. Also remember that EtOH is hydrophilic, which is the cause many standards limit EtOH in Fuel Blends. Would absorb too much water for use as transportation fuel, especially when stored over time.

hth, Chris

Bob,
I am pretty sure of this, as i have cross checked with Simsci and actual(physical operations in refinery). Well, this was done with all components of similar kinds of HC.
I am not sure whether Ethanol plus gasoline will behave in unexpected way than I discussed.

This is important to note that this is about RONC prediction.

I am sure that MON cannot be calculated in the way I described.

I would be delighted to now your opinion/comments on this and lokk forward to it.

SAA

Hi SAA,

Pro II will no doubt give an estimate of RON, but I'm not sure if it should be relied upon for an actual blending model. I'd tend to use ProII to identify an opportunity, then use actual test-run data to confirm if the opportunity really exists.

I also believe that you are correct when you state that certain components will blend linearly for RON...perhaps ones with the same type of molecular structure (makes sense to me). Most refinery streams have different PONA's though, so I wouldn't expect this to be a general rule.

Keep in mind that my hair is a lot greyer since I last worked as a blending Engineer...my memory could be getting weak.

Regards,

Bob

Thanks Bob, for giving me your view.

May be at next available opportunity, I will check it with actual blending in laboratory, and if it's in near future, I will post it.

Thank you once again.

SAA

Last weekend I downloaded a pretty comprehensive study report from Google titled 'Fuel specifications and fuel property issues and their potential impact on the use of ethanol as a transportation fuel' by Downstream Alternatives Inc. Perhaps may help you. If can't locate email me at steve@langleyventures.co.za and I'll forward pdf file to you - about 1.2MB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back