Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Improving customer service in the 21st century.... 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElliotWilson

Mechanical
Oct 20, 2010
US
While many of our companies strive for "excellent customer service", given technology, I see all too often companies striving for an antiquated definition of "excellence".

Given the rapid development of technology, I thought it would be of value to ask/hear what your favorite suppliers are doing differently (or maybe even not doing differently).

Specifically regarding websites/technology, what features do you find the most beneficial/critical (drawing availability, configurators, live chat, forums, 24/7 support)?

With any luck, we can collectively glean a bit of group wisdom to take back and apply to our own organizations...

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

We are working on a system that combines Engineering, Drawings, Bills of Materials, Project Management, Work flow and even payroll in one seamless package.

Basically a project goes from inception to completion all on web based software where any authourized person can see what's going on.

Seems to really entice the bigger customers.

>> What customers? <<

That's actually a really good point, and part of my own struggle when looking at technology solutions.

Large & small customers often have very different needs...not to mention potential customers/leads, end users, and even suppliers.

I suppose one big take away (particularly with tech investments) is to fully understanding who you/the project is most concerned with servicing.

For sources like McMaster-Carr having drawings and models etc. of parts can be pretty handy.

Generally anywhere where there are multiple components that you have to ensure compatibility or or the like having interactive lists/links is usefull. For instance being able to select a connector, then have a link to comptible crimps, then a link to compatible crimp tools.

That kind of thing.

Of course, this is all trumped by getting good parts, at good prices, on time...

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

If you want to sell widgets, cola, or watermelons...they are customers. If you want to sell time and qualifications, they are clients.

Until you know the difference, your efforts are wasted.

If you want to sell widgets, cola, or watermelons...they are customers. If you want to sell time and qualifications, they are clients.
Until you know the difference, your efforts are wasted.

I agree with this, but what of the engineer (or firm) that designs a building, and delivers to the contractors plans (a deliverable product) for said building. Is the the owner of the building the engineer's client, or customer?

Back on topic, what exactly is the "antiquated" definition of excellence? With the recession, customers (and clients) are rediscovering, and redefining value. Companies and firms who do not recognize and respond to this will surely suffer.

Although the OP narrowed the topic to websites or tech-based support, the multitude of industries makes the scope of the question huge. Every niche of every industry will have different answers to the question.

-TJ Orlowski

It's a great question, but I'd ask it of your clients,too -- especially your best ones.

Value is in the eye of the beholder. And it's so easy to spend time and money on improvements a dozen engineers might think are wonderful but that clients really don't care about.

But if you can invest in the right place, so you're really remarkable, small things can make a big difference.

Brien Charlton
charltonbusinesscoaching.com

Tell them what your are going to do for them, then do it, then follow up and check to see that it was satisfactory. Takes a telephone, or a cuppa coffee with the Client, and doesn't require a whole lot of technology. The loss of human contact with all this techno-whiz will not do anything for Client relationships.

Widget vendors who wish to sell to houses using 3D design tools, will get ~zero design wins if they don't provide decent 3D models in addition to cut sheets. Faking a 3D model from a two-view PDF is a major pain in the ass, and I'll change vendors rather than do it.

The model does not usually need interior detail, but the envelope and the interfaces need to be accurate. They don't need perfect complete screw threads. McMaster's simplified screw threads are actually overkill. The native simplified representation for each package would be okay.

This is such a common practice now, and keeping up to date on all the 3D CAD packages is such a pain, that someone must be doing it as a service already.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Here's one, actual tolerance information on the size of the widgets - at least mounting holes or the like - rather than 'holes for m4 screws' or the like.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back