Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

In process drawings

Status
Not open for further replies.

joede

Aerospace
Jan 28, 2001
US
I have no experience with pro E.

My designers tell me that Pro E won't let them create what I call an "in-process" sub-assembly drawing that shows pilot holes for rivets.

The drawings they give me show the final rivot hole size including the rivet countersink. What I need is a drawing showing pilot hole sizes or at least a drawing showing a small cross centerline at the location of each pilot hole. If I had that, then a note could be used to describe the pilot hole size. I would prefer a drawing showing the pilot holes i.e. a drawing that looks like the part will look right before it is matched to its mate and riveted. Can Pro E do this or are my designers right when they say Pro E won't let them change the final rivet hole size??

I am quite familiar with Autocad and can't imagine Pro E can't do what is an easy task in Autocad i.e. changing a feature size or just showing a location with centerlines.

I can't believe Pro E can't generate a drawing from a model that shows a part at any given stage throughout the process of manufacturing it. Am I wrong??

What do I need to know to show my designers (and myself)this can be done in Pro E

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

This must be solved at the modelling stage. Pilot hole must be created in model. Finished hole should be removed or placed on a non-displayed layer.

Another way to document a part at varying stages of mfr. processes is to create "instances" of a part through the family table. The "generic" model would then represent the finished product, and each individual "instance" as defined in the family table editor would represent stages of manufacture, by suppressing or unsupressing the machined features as required.
We have done this effectively with cast parts that require machined mating surfaces, and drawings were required at both stages.

Got your posts. We ended up trying "instances" and creating a "family table". We kept the model as is i.e. a depiction of the finished part and used the instances to show the pilot holes. This allowed us to generate a drawing showing the pilot holes that continued to be linked to the finished part model.

This worked quite well. Problem solved!! Thank you all for your help!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back