Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

In Search of a Cold Room Test Facility

Status
Not open for further replies.

Otter

Mechanical
Oct 30, 2001
US
I am in search of a cold room facility in which to perform cold start testing of diesel powered, off-highway construction equipment.

The facility should be large enough to back a semi-trailer into. It is not necessary that the trailer comepletely fit within the cold room, our equipment can be off-loaded. The test machine is approximately 10 feet (3 m) wide, 40 feet (12.2 m) long, and 11 feet (3.4 m) tall. The length could be shortened by up to 15 feet (4.5 m) in order to fit a smaller facility.

I need to cold soak the equipment to at least 0 F (-18 C), -20 F (-29 C) preferred.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Have you tried NTS or Wyle Labs? I'm not sure if they have chambers quite that big, but they do have chambers for -55C testing of military equiment.

TTFN

Full Vehicle Environmental Chamber

Other valuable assets include Red Dot's proprietary Windows-based vehicle heat load and heat exchanger design and analysis software. Together, these advanced engineering tools are used to ensure design success.

Red Dot's full vehicle chamber allows A/C and heater testing with solar loading and humidity control. Rapid temperature cycling for cab sized tests is accomplished with mid-chamber doors. In the full vehicle configuration, the test chamber interior dimensions are 14 feet wide by 37 feet long by 18 feet high. The temperature range is -20° F to 140° F, and the relative humidity ranges from 20% to 95%. A variable control heat lamp bank is used to simulate sun loads.

Try this site.

For the individual that asked, I am located in Wisconsin, USA. A Midwest located Test Facility would be preferred.

The "testing" will be performed by my firm. I just need a rentable facility in which to perform the testing.

I am only interested in evaluating the cold start performance, many of our machines operate in low ambient temps.

Keep the suggestions coming.

We are exploring that option currently. There are some fairly large cold storage facitlities in the area.

The problem we are running into is gaining approval to store our rather sizeable machine for a "cold soak" period (~24 hrs.), and then to operate the equipment inside of a "closed" facility. Exhaust venting is a concern of the owners, as it is to me.

We are not giving up yet. I'm guessing it would be much less of a hassle to use a facility which was designed specifically for cold testing.

Thank's for the suggestion.

Great idea. I know for a fact they do have a cold room at the Tech Center in Mossville that would work. Unfortunately we won't be testing a CAT engine, but one of their competitors' engines. And the engine manufacturer would not like to test at Caterpillar.

Thanks for another good suggestion.

We have a chamber that is 10'x10'x20', however it is possible to build onto it to achieve your desired results.
If you would like to speak to someone about possible alternatives I can be contacted at rhavermahl@ielinc.com or (734) 426-9833. Our company is in Ann Arbor MI and we specialize in testing things others don't want to touch such as live fuel.

Modine is the way to go if they rent out space. I recently saw the facility and they handle 18 wheelers, cab and trailer. The facility even allows simulated environmental loading (thermal) from (I think this is correct) -20degF to 120degF. Wind speeds were to 120 mph max. Quite an operation! The data collection system is impressive as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back