Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

In search of Bell housing bolt patterns.

Status
Not open for further replies.

archangel2003

Automotive
Dec 16, 2009
US
I am looking for the pattern for the Buick 215 V8, also called the Rover 3.5L and larger V8 and the Leyland 4.4L P76.

I have been to various Buick sites as well as the Rover sites in the Eu, and even a couple in Australia but have had no success for my primary 215 V8 target.

If anyone was interested, I have found the small block Ford and Chevy patterns complete with crankshaft center lines!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Isn't the 215 the same as the Rover, or did they change the bellhousing when they bought the engine?

As far as the ford and chevy patterns go I'm sure others would appreciate it if you post where they can be found.

ISZ

So yes McLaren did use the engine through Repco, but only for a short while.
I'll bet there are no blueprints waiting to be dusted off for me though.

Wikipedia on McLaren
Bruce had selected a short-stroke version of the 4.2 litre Ford Indy engine, which generated a lot of noise but very little power and was big and bulky. Ironically, Jack Brabham had adopted a Repco-developed engine based on a similar Oldsmobile block to the one Bruce was using in his early sports cars and his team took the 1966 and 1967 world championships........

Wikipedia on Repco-developed engine
Jack Brabham exploited his existing relationship with Australian automotive components manufacturer Repco. He proposed they design and build a simple, reliable racing engine based on aluminium V8 engine blocks from the defunct American small-block Oldsmobile V8 F85 road car project, and other off the shelf parts.[2] The Repco board agreed to his proposal. A small team developed an F1 engine, fitted with 2-valve per-cylinders OHV heads. The first advantage of this "Repco 620" V8 was its lightness, which allowed it to be bolted into an existing 1.5 litre Formula One chassis. With no more than 310 bhp (231 kW), the Repco was by far the least powerful of the new 3 litre engines, but unlike the others it was frugal, light and compact.[3] Also unlike the others, it was reliable and, due to low weight and power, the strain on chassis, suspension, brakes, and tyres was low.
[edit] Four world titles for the single-camshaft 16-valve

In 1966, the Repco engine was good enough to score 3 poles for Jack Brabham. In his one-off BT19, it helped him get 4 consecutive wins and both titles in the 9 races long season, a unique accomplishment for a driver and constructor. This was his third title.

The 2,995.58 cc V8 Repco had a bore and stroke of 3.50 x 2.375" (88.9 x 60.3 mm). Initially it gave about 285 bhp (213 kW; 289 PS). A test bed figure of 310 bhp (231 kW; 314 PS) at 7,800 rpm with 230 ft.lb torque at 6,500 rpm was obtained. In race trim, about 299 bhp (223 kW; 303 PS) was available. In 1967, the bore and stroke remained unaltered. In that year, 325/330 bhp at 8,500 rpm was often quoted. A test-bed figure of 327 bhp (244 kW; 332 PS) at 8,300 rpm was recorded. For 1968, a 32-valve version with 400 bhp (298 kW; 406 PS) at 9,500 rpm was planned. But only about 380 bhp (283 kW; 385 PS) at 9,000 rpm was achieved.

In 1967, the competition had made progress. Repco produced a new version of the engine, the 700 series, this time with a Repco designed block.

archangel,
there is a dedicated 215 chat group on Yahoo if that helps.
No personal experience with either the engine of the group.

Also this engine and variants of it are a popular option for Z car (Nissan / Datsun 240 , 260 , 280Z series) modifiers so a board for them may provide some leads.

Good luck , Pete.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back