Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Inches to Feet-Inches 16

Status
Not open for further replies.

dik

Structural
Apr 13, 2001
CA
Does anyone have a formula to convert inches to feet-inches, eg. 96 is converted to 8'-0"? If you do, can you cut and paste it?

thanks, Dik

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

tutrleshead,

I'm not sure what you mean by "not getting fractions of an inch". Can you give some examples of =i2s() output and what you would want the output to look like?

-josh

They want the inches to be 1 1/4" rather than 1.25" (or 1.3" as the output above shows). Or 1 13/32" rather than 1.4".

Hg

Eng-Tips policies: faq731-376

The result for =i2s(1.25) is 1 1/4".

The example above used an input of 12.20 as opposed to 12.25. I think the correct output for 1.20 is 1' - .20" as shown.

In practice, non-fractional decimals (like 0.20) should not come up in measurements since most people use multipules of 1.32nds or 1/64ths.

It's a free add-in, so you get what you paid for. It only converts for denominators that are EXACTLY powers of 2, even down to 1/256, so even 0.9999999/256 results in a decimal, rather than 1/256

TTFN

FAQ731-376

Free or not, I think it is pretty good, but then again, I wrote it. :)

I've put a lot of thought into what the correct result should be when converting non-fractional measuraments like "0.9999999/256" and I think returning an ugly but correct answer is preferable to giving a neat-looking, but incorrect answer.

If all you really want is an aproximation anyway, you could always fix-up the "0.999999999" first by running it though a round() or int(). At least this way you are explicit stating that you want an aproximation rather than an exact answer.

But believe me, if you can think of a better and more consistant way to handle this issue, I am all ears!

Thanks,
josh

I understand of course it's a free plugin I was just trying to understand how it works and now I do.

I am an architect (originally from australia now in the US) and until now have worked exclusively in mm.

The software package we use (Catia) spits out data to spreadsheets in inches however the contractor wants the information in feet, inches and fractions of inches so now I understand what it is the InchCalc addin is doing I can apply a rounding factor to my data to ensure it is in the right format.

Obviously building tolerances are very different to those in the aerospace industry.

cheers everyone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back