Include "Maintain associativity" deactivated

Status
Not open for further replies.

NZMark

Mechanical
Nov 1, 2008
DE
Dear All,

When I edit a part in-place in an assembly, and want to use Include (e.g. in a sketch, to include peer features) sometimes the option "Maintain associativity..." is deactivated and grayed out.

I haven't been astute enough to work out when this happens or not. Often it works just fine.

The Inter-Part options are all activated.

Any ideas?

Regards, MT

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi,

when the assembly you are working with contains simplified
parts (whether activated or not) the 'Maintain associativity'
is greyed out while you are editing a part in context. There
might be other circumstances that might have the same effect,
but I've not come across

dy

Hi there,

Thanks for the feedback. I haven't been using Simplified Parts, so I guess this is not my problem - good tip though.

After some pondering, I started to suspect the problem is with parts which already have associative Includes from other assemblies.

I did a quick test: Place Part1.par in one assembly (Asm1.asm), and add an associative Include during in-place edit (e.g. Cutout based on another part in Asm1). Save and close Asm1. Place Part1.par in another assembly (Asm2.asm), edit in-place, and the Include has the "Maintain Associativity..." option deactivated and grayed out.

If I now choose Break Link for any existing associations, then the option is available again (although I couldn't do this for linked Sketches!).

So my tentative conclusion is:
It is not easy/possible to apply associative Includes in a part using in-place editing of the part in more than one Assembly.

Could someone please comment on that conjecture?

I often save new versions of an assembly as I am working, to try and provide some fast option to roll-back (admittedly, not great style compared to Revision management).
So I guess my troubles occur when I am trying to modify an Include in a part which also appears in a previous assembly.
I could try to find a better approach for that (e.g. make new versions of the parts at the same time).

But what to do if one wants to design a part where different associative Includes need to be based on its occurrence in more than one assembly?

Many thanks for any feedback,
MT

I think when you open a part that has links to an assembly you will be asked if you want to open the 'in context' assembly instead - so there can be only one 'in context' assembly.
As for using 'save-as' on your assembly that's not a good idea when you have links from part to assembly because the link will not be changed - and I speak from experience here.
You will be in your new assembly but the link will still point to the old version.
Rev Manager will ask you if you want to copy the linked parts also.

bc.
2.4GHz Core2 Quad, 4GB RAM,
Quadro FX4600.

I think you are only allowed links to one assembly or possibly only one part. They are trying to avoid circular references.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back