Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Including Purchased Items Used In The Weldment Environment At The Top Assembly BOM List

Status
Not open for further replies.

TorsionalStress

Mechanical
May 23, 2005
CA
Using SolidWorks 2016 SP01;

Is it possible to "Attach" or "Include" purchased items used in the Weldment environment at the Top Assembly BOM list for purchased parts inclusion?

Example:
Purchased bolt & washer & are inserted as separate bodies in the Weldment environment as one component in one file. I would like to include these purchased components in the main BOM list.

Is there a way to achieve this without creating Macros or Multiple Part Files & an Assembly File?

Any response will be greatly appreciated!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't thing so, because a weldment is using a Cutlist table not a BOM. The BOM only lists parts and assemblies, you cannot make a BOM see bodies. If you absolutely need TB parts in weldment, then you should do it in an assembly of the weldment instead of in the weldment part.

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
Gryphon Environmental
"If it's not broke, Don't fix it!"
faq731-376

I wouldn't want to disagree with a CSWP, but I think there is a way to make a BOM show individual bodies. The problem is when it is set that way it lists ALL of them. You could "fool" the system by including the purchased hardware components in your weldment and then also include them in the assembly.

TorsionalStress,

You can add screws and washers as separate bodies. I added gussets to a sheet metal bracket that way. I converted the bracket to a weldment, then I added the gussets as separate bodies.

--
JHG

Yes, it is possible to attach purchased parts as separate bodies in a detailed list of the main BOM. The problem that I'm noticing is when you have multiple weldment parts in an assembly, the individual sub-parts do not accumulate to the total quantity, they remain for one weldment part quantity. I either have to add a column and an equation to calculate the total, or create multiple weldment parts in its own weldment file to achieve the total.

TorsionalStress,

So, you want to explode the BOM at the assembly level and catch all the catalogue parts in the weldments. That means everybody must look at the same data format. The weldment must be modelled as an assembly.

--
JHG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back