Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Incompatible load combinations

Status
Not open for further replies.

3JC

Mechanical
Jul 12, 2010
PE
Dear collages from forum,

I have a question: is it possible to define the uncompatibility of two load, previous to the automatic generation of load combinations by the software? I'm calculating a 2d portal frame, and due to the asimmetry, I have to consider two different wind load directions and also two different load crane possitions. Thank you very much.

Regards,

Juan José

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Dear John,

Thank you very much for your response. I think I have a mistake in the title: what I want to say is if is it possible to define that two (or more) loads are uncompatible in the sense that they can't be together in the same combination. For example: wind in both direcctions can't appear as a combination.

Regards,

Juan José

Dear 3JC,

Of course you can do that. First define the load cases, which can be independent, for example wind in a direction, snow, other live loads etc.
This can be done from Define->Load patterns

Then, you can create one or more combinations. In each combination, only the load patterns that are contributing to it will appear.

Analysis and Design of arbitrary cross sections
Reinforcement design to all major codes
Moment Curvature analysis

I'm pretty sure, that when you use SAP2000 for automatic combinations, it doesn't combine loads of one type (for example different WIND loads defined in Load Patterns).

In fact I don't use this function at all, because in v.14 it doesn't combine SNOW loads acc. to Eurocode.

Ok, thank you very much. But isn't there any option where you can say to the software not to combine some actions in combinations?

Regards,

Juan José

3JC, dgerashki is right, the best is to manually define the load combinations. Furtmore SAP2000, uses some default load case factors that the user cannot change (for example the live load contribution to seismic mass is always taken as 0.3, which is not always so).

Regards.

Analysis and Design of arbitrary cross sections
Reinforcement design to all major codes
Moment Curvature analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back