Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Incompetent Tech Support 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beggar

Mechanical
Mar 24, 2004
US
I'm fairly new to SWX -- about 2 months now. Having experience with some other modeling packages, I'm getting up to speed fairly quickly but have been relying on the VAR Tech Support (& Eng-Tips) to get over the rough spots.

Just this morning I was speaking to the VAR rep trying to deal with something that should be very, very simple. I was getting the sense that he wasn't real clear what he was doing. I expressed consternation at the difficulties I was having when he responded, "I'm sure the tools are in there somewhere. I've only been working with SolidWorks for about a month myself."

You've got to be kidding!!

Does SWX put any effort into policing the VARs who are representing them?

This is a case of the blind leading the vision-impaired. For this I'm paying yearly "maintenance?"

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

"have you tried reloading it?" I think poor support is common across the board. That's why I like user groups and this type of forum.
I dislike the very rigid training structure and lack of printed books that cover anything other than the basics.

Have you ever stopped to think, that there are some of us that are Tech support people in this group??

You have to remember it's hard for TS people to get a feel for what your doing. They have to deal with many areas of SW. Not just what your doing, but all walks of life in SW. So do be patient with these guys. Sometimes the way you explain something that you think is easy may not be for the guy on the other end of the phone. Especially since they may not have much experience in you field or line of work.

I have had many cases where the customer and myself are not understanding each other. If you and your TS person are both patient, you will get a better response from not only future calls there, but also you might build a good relationship with one another. I have some great relationships with some of my customers.

All that use and support the software have to take a test provided by SW. It's the CSWP test like the users take, except we have to complete all tasks (We don't get to choose one of 4 differnt types) Plus we have more questions. On top of that we have to score better than a user does. The test isn't easy.

Sometimes your TS may not know the answer right away. Let him/her look it up to try and give you the right answer instead of leading you down the wrong trail. On top of that, you (the user(s)) should try looking it up yourself instead of relying on TS to dig around for it, for you.

Alot of people don't even take the time to look for it themselves. They expect TS and NG's to give them the answer, because they are to lazy to look for it themselves. If the answer is in the help. I simply point the user to the place in the help (if they have not read it already) and let them know if they can't figure it from there to call me back. User should get used to look for it themselves first and exhaust all resources first.

Example:
- Run a search
- Run a search
comp.cad.solidworks - Run a search
- Run a search in their Knowledge Base Article section.

As for the answer of "reloading". When all else fails or if the problem had cropped up before and we know the answer. Then that's when I use that answer. But with SW04 and the WI installer type. A Repair will most likely fix most problems with SW04 faq559-908. If that doesn't I always suggest the Alternative reinstall faq559-507. If that doesn't do it, then the Clean reinstall. faq559-488 But ONLY after all other posiblites have been exhausted do I follow that procedure.

I don't know about all other TS people, but I have method on how I try to answer the questions that come into me. Sometimes I'll get a question that throws me off. When that happens I work as hard as I can to find an answer for the customer. I might not be able to answer while I'm on the phone with them, but I hope they know that I work till I find an answer that will work or get them by. Sometimes my hands are tied and there is nothing I can do. When that happens sometimes it's in the Customers court sometimes it's in SW court. If it can't be recreated by me or SW then the problem lies in the customers court to try and help determine the problem. SInce we can't be there in person, it does make it harder. you just need some patience. If you don't have any then all I can say is Good luck because you will probably need it.

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [borg2]
CSWP.jpg

faq731-376

Scott, I am very aware that there are tech support people here -- and you, in particular.

My complaint is not with a guy/gal who can't answer my question right off...I've had many good experiences with folks who said "let me look into that and give you a call back" or "take a look at xxx feature" or "hmm, I'm not sure we can get there from here"

My problem is with somebody who says, "Yeah, I'm not all that familiar with SWX, either."

I don't think the tech support line is the place for such a person to be figuring it out.

I hope you didn't take my criticism to be a sweeping criticism of Tech Support in general. I'm frustrated by having a couple of folks who don't seem to know what they're doing much more than I do.

I did not realize that I have the option of changing VARs -- that may be a good solution ultimately.

I agree with Scott 100%. Also, if you are really stuck with communicating with your VAR, you can ask for "Webex on-line support". It helps alot.

Scott is right on all counts.
When our VAR does not understand what I am trying to say, I will send him the zipped up files. Seeing the files is really a big help in getting the picture. If I cannot send pictures, like when we were trying to install PDM. The VAR did a web link. We are very fortunate the have a VAR that really cares.
We had one VAR who wanted our business, so he said, give us a call. Check out our tech support. About a year later we did switch.
Good luck.

Bradley

Beggar,

I wasn't trying to come off as upset or anything. I just wanted you and others to understand what it takes to be in this position. It's harder then would think, and if your not a people person to some degree, then this job isn't for you.

Also, I wanted others to understnad to try and find the answer themselves, before relying on all of us and their VAR's for every hand holding experience. Hand holding is my job, but those that don't even try to find the answer on their own (in the help or elsewhere) upset me the most of all. If they show me that they tried to find the answer, then that shows they do have some respect for me.

I hope this helps you or at least helps others that read this.

Regards,

CSWP.jpg

faq731-376

Begger,

To be blunt, technical support should not be a replacement for your own training or taking the time to read. With extensive market growth comes the fact that new dealers need to be hired, and their staff needs to be recruited and trained.
SolidWorks does put the VARs through a qualification and training process, and they do keep tabs on what sort of questions they can or can not handle.

If you never get any help from your VAR, shop around. There are multiple choices in most areas. But if you are basing your comments on 1 call, and having the luck of getting the new guy on the other end, get over it, and get involved with a Users Group instead.

TS:"But, Joe now that we got through that. All you needed was that command from line 3 of the What's New."
Cus:"Oh yeah, but Bob, you are #3 on my speed dial."

DesignSmith

I'm afraid you guys don't get it. Scott is right in what he's saying just his long and elaborate response is parallel with the issue here. The issue is technical support people for SW who don't know SW. Beggar, I totally agree with you.

Many well-stated points above.

Let me be clear on one thing: I've had several very good experiences with some of the Tech Reps.

I fully recognize the difficulty of trying to be the guy on the other end of the phone and I am not a demanding user. I don't expect that they can answer every question nor that the software can do everything I'd like it to.

My complaint is with his statement "I've only been working with SolidWorks for about a month myself." That is a direct quote. That just doesn't sound like somebody who should be flying solo on the receiving end of the tech support line.

Perhaps my expectations are too high -- that's the take on it I get from the responses here. I appreciate the frank feedback.

Scott: Can I assume that all the folks answering the phones have been through the rigorous testing that you have?

Scott: Can I assume that all the folks answering the phones have been through the rigorous testing that you have?

For the most I believe that's true. Most of the people I have talked with (VAR's) are very knowledgeable. I haven't met a VAR yet that had unknowledgeable TS person. That's not to say there isn't someone out there though. If that's what your TS guy said, then you might consider taking it to his boss. I don't think that would get him fired, but it might help them to get him up to speed faster.

I can't imagine them putting someone in that seat that didn't have some knowledge of the software. Before I came to work for 3DVision I had been using SW for awhile and already had my User CSWP Cert.. So I was no stranger to the program. I don't know who your VAR is, but I would hope that they would have sent him to some training before putting him behind a desk and phone.

To be honest he shouldn't have said that whether it's true or not. I think he said it so you might cut him some slack, but that still makes him sound incompetent. That doesn't mean that he is though. Give him few more days or weeks. If he still seems incompetent. Then I might start talking to his manager about it.

Does your VAR have more than 1 TS person there? We don't I'm the only one get here... for now [wink]! If there is more than one ask for the other person. Or just send your problem in an email. Sometimes if customers have a long list of questions I ask them to send it in an Email.

You could see if there is another VAR around you, but that's a decision you will have to make.

Best Regards & Good Luck,

CSWP.jpg

faq731-376

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back