Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Inconel 718 compliance to NACE MR0175-3/ISO 15156-3 :2009

Status
Not open for further replies.

iswenson

Marine/Ocean
Mar 25, 2016
US
Hello Gents,

My customer is material compliance to NACE MR0175 / ISO 15156-3. I do have a specific H2S partial pressure, temperature, and operating pressure (environmental conditions). My question is how the actual material gets certified to the NACE / ISO spec.

If I determine that the material (UNS #)is acceptable for the environmental conditions based on the tables Annex A (table A.32), does that mean anytime I purchase that UNS # of material it is acceptable? Or does is the mill required to perform any type of destructive or non-destructive testing on each heat of material?

I am unsure if specific tests are required to demonstrate compliance on a lot by lot basis, or if the material is inherently compliant for a given environment based on Annex A.

Thanks,

Ian

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

For certification issues see:

The inclusion of N07718 in ISO 15156-3 is on the basis that, notionally, any material with the UNS number that has achieved the specified material requirements, and is deployed within the environmental limits, is deemed compliant. Whether that is "acceptable" is down to the call of the end user.

The material restriction for N07718 is, essentially, heat treatment condition and resultant hardness. Thus, the end user should satisfy themselves that the product that is put into H2S service has not exceeded the restrictions. Clearly, this necessitates some form of hardness verification, and the end user will have to specify, or agree to, an appropriate hardness verification programme that allows them to deem the material satisfactory.

You may wish to consult API Std 6ACRA.

Steve Jones
Corrosion Management Consultant

All answers are personal opinions only and are in no way connected with any employer.

The thing to watch with 718 is that the heat treatment required for MR0175 compliance is not either of the ones common for aerospace. So you need to specify the correct heat treatment.
Get the correct alloy and meet the property restrictions and you are good to go.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, Plymouth Tube

SJones & EdStainless,

Thank you for the reply. We are purchasing the material to API 6ACRA (PSL4). I do understand the difference w/ the heat treatments, and we purchase to the 120 KSI age hardened condition in order to meet the 40 HRC API requirement. I was unsure if I should expect additional test documentation, i.e. test results per Annex B. It appears we do not need any additional test documentation above and beyond the hardness check and heat treat charts.

Regards,

Ian

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back