Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Incorporating residual strains in Ansys 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

nitinfem1

Mechanical
Jun 7, 2005
US
Hi,

I am trying to model a composite beam using Ansys. I wanted to know how to incorporate Residual Strains using Ansys? I have tried but in vain. If someone knows a method of incorporating residual strains or stresses for a composite beam using Ansys, the response will be of immense help.

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What have you tried?

------------
See faq569-1083 for details on how to make best use of Eng-Tips.com

Drej - Thanks alot for responding!

I have a cross-ply symmetric laminate with 8 plies. Laminate width I have taken is 1.5 in. with the thickness of each lamina as 0.005 in.(0.0127 cm). I have calculated the elastic constants using the rule of mixtures. Using this info and properties for a glass/epoxy composite laminate (S-glass fiber), I have modeled a beam using the same. After this I need to incorporate residual stresses. I have tried internet resources but cannot find out a way. As far as my trying is cincerned, it has been restricted to changing values etc. I just get stuck beyond that and don't know how to proceed. Guidance in this area will help tremendously.

I hope this information helps.
Thanks again for your time and effort!

I don't understand what you've tried. What do you mean by "changing values etc."? Values of what?

Dealing with residual stresses in ANSYS is quite straightforward though. Take a closer look at the ISTRESS command in the help file (Main Menu>Solution>Load Step Opts>Initial Stress>Apply Const Strs), as I think it will do the job for you. Remember that it only works on the currently selected elements.

Cheers,

-- drej --

------------
See faq569-1083 for details on how to make best use of Eng-Tips.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back